Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old May 16th, 2017, 05:23 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 200
Thanked 0 Times

Default Continuous flow pan

Just got started making maple syrup this spring on my own and now I want to go bigger. making my own equipment and want some insite. Want to build a continuous flow pan 30"x94" how far should the dividers be apart and is it better to run them the long way or short way. I hope to tap 100 to 200 taps next year. Any info would be helpful thanks Bob
Old May 17th, 2017, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 200
Thanked 44 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RademacherFarms View Post
Just got started making maple syrup this spring on my own and now I want to go bigger. making my own equipment and want some insite. Want to build a continuous flow pan 30"x94" how far should the dividers be apart and is it better to run them the long way or short way. I hope to tap 100 to 200 taps next year. Any info would be helpful thanks Bob
3 by 8 is pretty big for a single flat pan, so you might be interested in adding flues of some sort. I find the easiest way to do that without a tig welder and special brake is copper drop tubes, which you can find described on the maple trader. If you are close to the cities, I'd be happy to talk you through the process.

To answer your question, though, a back section of 6' for the back and a separate finish section up front is a good way to go, often separate pans since the syrup pan needs more cleaning is more like to suffer "problems"! Put a couple of length wise dividers in the back pan to prevent the incoming sap from flowing straight through to the front part is typical. My flue pan is 2' x 6' and has the float box on the right rear and port to the syrup pan on the left front, so two dividers. That back pan is where the flues would be if you want them.

The front is always flat, and should have channels about 6" wide to force the syrup to move in a serpentine fashion from inlet to draw off.

Another note, The Minnesota Maple Syrup Producers meeting is this Saturday, the 20th, in Two Harbors. I'd be pleased to meet you there! You can learn more then you knew there was to know about maple from people far more expert than me..