Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old March 14th, 2017, 02:25 PM
Consumer

Number of Taps: 8

Default my first year

So here is what I put together for my first year. Have used this on three Saturdays and netting about a gallon of maple syrup each time. Moved into geauga county April 2016 and this was a last minute idea to do. Had some wood stacked from general cleaning up of property from the summer. Made from 25 cinder blocks $1.44 each, 32 fire brick $2.99 each and 3 steam table pans $9.90 each $161 total. Another $40 dollars in supplies and now no expenses needed for next year. Started with about 35 plastic 5 gallon containers from a restaurant near me for free
Attached Thumbnails
mr first year-img_1065.jpg  

Last edited by earlsdvd; March 15th, 2017 at 12:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to earlsdvd For This Post:
regor0 (March 14th, 2017)
Old March 14th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Leader Dealer
Dealer

Number of Taps: 4000
Thanked 52 Times

Looks good. Now, how much syrup did you produce?
15 frame clear filter press
Busch claw pump
Honda rancher
Old March 14th, 2017, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 116 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlsdvd View Post
So here is what I put together for my first year. Have used this on three Saturdays and netting about a gallon of maple syrup each time. Moved into geauga county April 2016 and this was a last minute idea to do. Had some wood stacked from general cleaning up of property from the summer. Made from 25 cinder blocks $1.44 each, 32 fire brick $2.99 each and 3 steam table pans $9.90 each $161 total. Another $40 dollars in supplies and now no expenses needed for next year. Started with about 35 plastic 5 gallon containers from a restaurant near me for free
Nice first setup. Lived in Chardon for a few years, loved that area.
Old March 14th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

You are bang on for getting started earlsdvd. How did you support the cinder blocks as a chimney with an opening from the fire box?

Last edited by Bryan Ex; March 15th, 2017 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:50 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Quote:
Somedays I just wish I could return to the cinder block arch and the flat pan. Good stuff
Old March 15th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Consumer

karl
I finished 1 gallon each of 3 different Saturdays. I collected all week long and used a freezer to freeze sap and then would thaw sap starting about Thurs evening. The last weekend the temp dropped at the end of week and used the turkey fryer to thaw. Last weekend process was:
Use turkey fryer and thaw
Then using my wine making equipment I filtered by pouring thawed sap into a top bucket with a bottling valve on it.
poured valve from top bucket to lower bucket that had a fryer oil type filter to do a rough filter.
Scoop sap from filtered sap bucket into end pan
Move sap from end pan towards chimney all day long
At end of day cooled sap when down to @ 2 gallons knowing started with @ 45 gallons sap
Moved sap into garage and finished on top of stove Sun morning
Old March 15th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Consumer

Bryan EX
I had fire brick that are 9" on end lining the cider block. The fire brick on chimney end support chimney. I also placed a couple regular brick in base of arch and to support wire rabbit type fencing. This allowed air underneath wood. The fencing also wrapped up the sides to keep the fire brick, lining the cinderblock stacked on end from falling into fire. This method allows me to totally disassemble and store off to the side, and build again next year as nothing is glued or cemented together.
Old March 15th, 2017, 01:00 PM
Leader Dealer
Dealer

Number of Taps: 4000
Thanked 52 Times

Quote:
karl
I finished 1 gallon each of 3 different Saturdays. I collected all week long and used a freezer to freeze sap and then would thaw sap starting about Thurs evening. The last weekend the temp dropped at the end of week and used the turkey fryer to thaw. Last weekend process was:
Use turkey fryer and thaw
Then using my wine making equipment I filtered by pouring thawed sap into a top bucket with a bottling valve on it.
poured valve from top bucket to lower bucket that had a fryer oil type filter to do a rough filter.
Scoop sap from filtered sap bucket into end pan
Move sap from end pan towards chimney all day long
At end of day cooled sap when down to @ 2 gallons knowing started with @ 45 gallons sap

Moved sap into garage and finished on top of stove Sun morning
Sounds great. I remember my 1 St years well. Although I would not want to return to that set up on one hand, I understand saying " those times I enjoyed the most". It feels more stressful as you grow larger. I hope you enjoy making syrup as much as I have. I wish you the best. Thanks for your input.
15 frame clear filter press
Busch claw pump
Honda rancher
Old March 15th, 2017, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 315
Photos: 93
Thanked 128 Times
  View my photos  

earlsdvd - and so it begins..! if you're anything like me, this will be a jumping off point to bigger and more fun things and toys and equipment. Sounds like you're having a good time, and that's all that matters. thanks for sharing!

Water Jacketed Bottler, Hood, and Finish Pan by 3rdgen.maple
2x4 Hybrid Hobby with Autodrawoff
315 taps on 3/16 gravity and a handful on buckets
5" Filter Press by Daryl
14' x 20' Sugar Shack
Home-built RO
Officially caught the sugar bug

http://www.pottercreeksyrup.com/
Old March 15th, 2017, 10:27 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 100+
Photos: 4
Thanked 6 Times
  View my photos  

LOL. You have a lot to learn if you think you will spend no money next year in this addition!
Sugar Shack in future
Homebrewer, Drag Race Fan
http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/