Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 6th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 50
Thanked 0 Times

Default Continuous flow pan

Hi all, Starting on my new pan. 2'x4', continuous flow pan with three sections. What is a good side height? Also weighing out pros and cons of soldering versus welding. I have a tig welder, and am fairly good at using it. I was thinking about solder because of less heat input. I could tig braze with Silicon bronze to lessen heat input but I want more opinions. Thanks all
Old February 6th, 2017, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 701
Thanked 110 Times

You generally want to run about inch and a half to 2 inches of sap in your pans. I have a continuous divided pan and it's sides are 8 inches and have never had a problem with it. Which direction are you going to put your dividers front to back or side to side?
All taps on drop tubes into buckets.
Smoky Lake Filter/Finisher/Filter.
Smoky Lake Crescendo Auto Draw.
Brother-in-law for a partner in crime.
Wife and 4 kids.
Old February 6th, 2017, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 110 Times

Also when building your arch make sure you leave a few inches between the smoke stack and the back area of your pan. If your pan touches the stack it's a good possibility of getting burnt or scorched spots on the pan and a burnt taste to your syrup. Just a few inches of air space works great. Hope that makes sense.
Wife and 4 kids.
Old February 7th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Planning to run the dividers front to back. Also is 3/4" big enough for a draw off? I was thinking about welding on a 3" nipple w/ ball valve.
Old February 7th, 2017, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 110 Times

3/4 will be fine for that size pan. I have half inch on my 3x8 pan. For pans that your drawing off at when you hit syrup without an autodrawoff unit the smaller size pipe is easier to control. When drawing off you just want to crack the valve and let just a small stream like the size of a pencil or smaller until your temp starts to drop below syrup. Then close the valve. Opening the valve completely will cause massive disruption in your pan. You want to keep it nice and slow and even. Hope that makes sense. Keep the questions coming.
Wife and 4 kids.
The Following User Says Thank You to Radnagel For This Post:
Trapperjess (February 7th, 2017)
Old February 7th, 2017, 08:59 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Should i put a preheat tank on top, near the back of the pan? I was thinking 12Lx24Wx12H.
I dont want to loose efficency due to condensation, but I also know that I could gain with a good pre-heat system.

Also should I use a float valve to keep my pan filled to the right level? It seems more efficent to use one but I read about people having problems, I dont want to be on the edge of my seat watching for scorched syrup all day.
Old February 8th, 2017, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 110 Times

This is photo was taken a couple of years ago in our little sugarhouse. If you look to the right of the center beam you will see a 2nd pan there. It is just a steam table pan that has a pipe welded on to it about an inch off the bottom of the pan. We cut the top off the oil tank wrapped the edges in angle iron and then in the back we took the top sectioned it welded it back together and laid it sideways so that the steam table pan lays flat on it and just higher than the big flat pan. We also cut the metal out underneath the steam table pan for better heat transfer. The back is cut out to feed into this back heat reclaimer type chamber and then out the back into the stove pipe. We have a ball valve and on a copper line that enters the shack and feeds the steam table pan. Once the steam table pan fills to one inch it flows into the big flat pan. It usually only takes a minute to get the flow adjust and a few minor adjustment through out the day and then your are golden. The key is to stay consistent on your firing times. How well does this steam table pan work? Well if you stay firing on a timer it boils just as well as the flat pan. And there is no AUF on this rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Continuous flow pan-cooker-1.jpg   Continuous flow pan-fb_img_1486594085412.jpg  
Wife and 4 kids.

Last edited by Radnagel; February 8th, 2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old February 8th, 2017, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 110 Times

IMHO preheater pans that sit on top of the pan gain you next to nothing. The steam that is coming off your big pan is hitting the bottom of the preheater pan than turning back into water again and falling back into the pan to be evaporated off again. What you gain on top you lose on the bottom. Now copper tubing layed across the top of the pans with a drip tray under the copper tubes now you have something. The drip pan is as wide as the tubes and is channeled to catch the drip water and then it is ramped so that the water flows out of the preheater and into a bucket alongside the evaporator. Then you can also put a float valve on the preheater and into your main pan or channel. This is what we have on our 3x8 set-up.
Wife and 4 kids.