Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 24th, 2017, 10:00 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 200-300
Thanked 2 Times

Default Homemade drop pan

I'm in the process of building an evaporator yes pictures are coming soon. I'm looking to make a set of pans. I'm planning on a tube drop flue style similar to masons style pans. Im planning to have a local shop weld then up any advice? Anything I need to worry about? Any finishing that I need to do? I was reading through the forum last night and got nervous with reading about finishing stainless pans to make them food safe. Am I thinking this right. Thanks in advance.
Old January 26th, 2017, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 701
Thanked 110 Times

Gratefulmaple welcome to the site. Now as far as a drop tube pan is concerned the pan it self is made of stainless. Then they take a piece of copper pipe that has been capped off on one end and flared out on the other. They drill out the hole in the bottom of the stainless pan flare it a little and then solder the joint together. And this process is repeated over and over again because the more drop tubes the better. That is the back pan or what is most often referenced as the flue pan. Then you have a smaller finishing pan in the front that finishes the sap into syrup. And it is also where syrup is drawn off. All stainless is food grade that I am aware off. Good luck this season and don't forget to post some pictures.
All taps on drop tubes into buckets.
Smoky Lake Filter/Finisher/Filter.
Smoky Lake Crescendo Auto Draw.
Brother-in-law for a partner in crime.
Wife and 4 kids.

Last edited by Radnagel; January 26th, 2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old January 26th, 2017, 08:17 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2100
Thanked 131 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnagel View Post
Gratefulmaple welcome to the site. Now as far as a drop tube pan is concerned the pan it self is made of stainless. Then they take a piece of copper pipe that has been capped off on one end and flared out on the other. They drill out the hole in the bottom of the stainless pan flare it a little and then solder the joint together. And this process is repeated over and over again because the more drop tubes the better. That is the back pan or what is most often referenced as the flue pan. Then you have a smaller finishing pan in the front that finishes the sap into syrup. And it is also where syrup is drawn off. All stainless is food grade that I am aware off. Good luck this season and don't forget to post some pictures.
Not how Mason pans are made. Tubes go lengthwise the pan and flue gases go though the pipes.
About 900 of my own and sap from another 1200
Old January 26th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 110 Times

Gotcha never seen a mason pan figured it was like a normal drop tube pan. What would be the advantage of this style pan?
Wife and 4 kids.
Old January 26th, 2017, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 125
Photos: 7
Thanked 29 Times
  View my photos  

I made a drop tube pan and it boils like crazy! Make sure shop uses silver solder like stay bright by harris. It is 95% silver and is very expensive. also when you get it back for the shop I recommend that you wash with baking soda and water and heat. this will neutralize any flux residue that has accumulated in the pan. then rinse with a lot of clean water then repeat. Make sure the sides are tall because the tubes will shoot sap 12 to 18 inches high. Make tubes no less than 3/4 inch diamiter. 1 inch or more is recomended. when boiling make sure all solder is under sap or the heat will melt the joints.

Just a ?
If a shop is making it why not make a drop flue pan instead?
Pics please....
125 taps 3/16 tubing on gravity
Old January 26th, 2017, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 200
Thanked 44 Times

I believe the OP is considering a fire tube pan like mason's, with horizontal tubes in a drop section that the exhaust gasses flow through much like an steam locomotive boiler. I have heard they boil great, and was once considering making one myself. Someone on the Trader mentioned that a stainless pan with copper tubes suffers from differential thermal expansion, which makes since and should be avoided.

This is not a problem with the vertical drop tubes since they are short and unconstrained on the bottom end.
Old January 26th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2100
Thanked 131 Times

This is my Mason back pan from my 2x6. I have never seen a flue pan boil like this would.
Attached Thumbnails
Homemade drop pan-img_0320.jpg  
About 900 of my own and sap from another 1200
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wiam For This Helpful Post:
Radnagel (January 26th, 2017), RHale (January 26th, 2017)
Old January 26th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 110 Times

Wow that's interesting I would have thought that it would have been to restricted that it would choke the fire out. Is the arch blanket tight to the bottom of the pan or is there a space. So what did you figure was your gph rate with this rig?
Wife and 4 kids.
Old January 26th, 2017, 12:27 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 200-300
Thanked 2 Times

Yes your correct I used the wrong terminology. I've thought about using Mason's style but I'm not sure if it would work with aof. Ive read somewhere and I can't find it now that someone said that it won't work with aof. I'm just trying to make as efficient as I can.

Last edited by Gratefulmaple; January 26th, 2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Mis wrote reply
Old January 26th, 2017, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1300
Photos: 1
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

No reason it wouldnt work with aof.
2 sugar makers in training
Very understanding wife