Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 11th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 200
Photos: 11
Thanked 4 Times
  View my photos  
Default Even Boil

My pan is 24x48. I'm building a masonry arch with a fire brick liner. I plan on putting a sloped bottom in it like the factory models. The fire box will be 24" wide by 16" deep & 16" high. The sloped portion will start from that point. The total height of the arch is 32" Is the sloped bottom really necessary in an arch of this size ?
Masonry Arch- My Design
We carry lotsa pails
We cook lotsa sap
We have lotsa fun
http://shorthairsshorttales.blogspot.com/
Old January 11th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 100
Photos: 8
Thanked 59 Times
  View my photos  

Many won't agree with me on this - but - I would want my fire box deeper. Standard length of stove wood in a face cord is 16" ---but -- some might be 18" - some 14" - not always the same. my 2'x5' is 30'' and I have a grate in it - the slope starts after that. I've been getting some hard wood slab bundles that are 8' long and I like cutting them 2' long and they fit in my firebox. The beauty of a home made rig is that you can build it to suit your needs. Of course the standard design for an arch is not by accident - but - by going for more and more efficiency. I think I would make it a little deeper - But - You can cut your wood any length You want. Best of luck on whatever You decide ---Mike---
Old January 11th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 100
Photos: 8
Thanked 59 Times
  View my photos  

Hey 1badsapper - about the slope - Mine is real short about 12" made out of steel plate. If You don't have the space - forget the slope. Ya gotta remember - we ain't in the same league with the big Producers - most of their rigs are 8' to 12' long and they have room to play. With our little stubby arch's we gotta inovate and make do. LOL - Mike

Last edited by Ausable; January 11th, 2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 200
Photos: 11
Thanked 4 Times
  View my photos  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
Many won't agree with me on this - but - I would want my fire box deeper. Standard length of stove wood in a face cord is 16" ---but -- some might be 18" - some 14" - not always the same. my 2'x5' is 30'' and I have a grate in it - the slope starts after that. I've been getting some hard wood slab bundles that are 8' long and I like cutting them 2' long and they fit in my firebox. The beauty of a home made rig is that you can build it to suit your needs. Of course the standard design for an arch is not by accident - but - by going for more and more efficiency. I think I would make it a little deeper - But - You can cut your wood any length You want. Best of luck on whatever You decide ---Mike---
Thanks Ausable, I have enough room to work with, I will give it the extra length.Thank you for the advice.
Masonry Arch- My Design
We carry lotsa pails
We cook lotsa sap
We have lotsa fun
http://shorthairsshorttales.blogspot.com/
Old January 12th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 50
Thanked 5 Times

With a 30" deep firebox like Ausable has I wouldn't bother with the slope, but if your firebox will be shorter than 24" I would definitely ramp up to the back of the pan. I did not do that with my 2X4 and I've been wishing I had ever since I built it. I think having the ramp would expose more of the bottom of the pan directly to the fire/heat. As it is, I get a great boil in the front half of the pan, but it's pretty lazy towards to back end. And that's with a forced air system.
Old January 17th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 25
Thanked 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badsapper View Post
My pan is 24x48. I'm building a masonry arch with a fire brick liner. I plan on putting a sloped bottom in it like the factory models. The fire box will be 24" wide by 16" deep & 16" high. The sloped portion will start from that point. The total height of the arch is 32" Is the sloped bottom really necessary in an arch of this size ?
I think you'll be happier if you also use blanket, board, or insulating firebrick (the light, fluffy ones - like styrofoam) between your hard firebrick face and the masonry exterior - otherwise you end up with a lot of hot brick - and that heat isn't boiling sap (and can be quite uncomfortable to stand near, too.)

JHMO - and not the way I did my first one. Hadn't thought that part through.

OK, I see elsewhere you've posted you already did it that way with arch board - nevermind.
2012 or 2013 - getting back in in a new location.

Last edited by Ecnerwal; January 17th, 2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Saw it was already done...