Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old April 12th, 2016, 10:33 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals
Default Using cone filters

I am working on a beginners maple syrup course for my local area and could use some suggestions and especially some photos of how you may have used cone filters back in the day. When everything was expensive for your maple operation and you McGyvered everything... how did you support your cone filter without buying a snazzy stainless cone filter bottler? While not the most affective I still find the two guitars stands I saw on Google images rather creative. My first attempt is attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Using cone filters-100_2465.jpg  
Old April 13th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Photos: 1
Thanked 60 Times
  View my photos  

I don't have a picture but I used two four gallon buckets and one lid. I cut most of the bottom out of one bucket and lid to match. I put the lid on a new bucket and placed the bucket with the bottom cut out on top. The cone filter could be held in place by close pins and kind of supported itself if the hole was the right size.

Glad I don't have to do that anymore.
2014 2 X 6 smokey lake raised flue and a new shack
2015 330 taps on gravity and 50 bags
6 kids 4 smaller sap suckers
Very understanding wife
Old April 13th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 100
Thanked 10 Times

My first solution was about 4' of rebar bent into a square with a tail. I would thread the filter onto the rebar and then clamp the tail in my vise. The biggest problem I had was that the outside would cool quickly (outside workshop) and crust, and the rest of the syrup would just sit there.

My next solution was to hang the filter by 2 loops from a ceiling hook mounted to the cabinet extension above my kitchen sink, and step on a stool to pour boiling syrup into it. I'd put a big pot below for the syrup to drip into. Cold was less of an issue, but because the filter was only hung by 2 loops (on 1 hook) it would hang on an angle and swing, sometimes missing the pot and dripping into the sink or elsewhere. Worked okay until the hook tore out of the particle board with 20 litres of boiling syrup hanging.

My wife then bought me a filter canner from Atkinson's, (I think she was tired of getting "stuck" in the kitchen) Many times I've said it was the best maple investment we (she) ever made.

I may have some pictures around - I'll check the archives.
Old April 13th, 2016, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Thanked 45 Times

I use a 5 gallon milk can. The kind that came out of institutional milk dispensers. They had a plastic hose at bottom in one side for the milk drain. Hang filter from handles and clothes pins. I use a couple 60d niles thru loops and handles. (They are kept with filtering equipment.) The real trick is getting copper soldered to the short nipple for a shutoff valve. I still use as syrup comes of evaporator. The cans can be expensive, so a regular canner is probably cheaper.
2010 Built a sugar shack using used tin,,, now got a roof over me
2009 and before cooking out side
2008 bought my piece of land
1972- 2008 cooked as work permitted
1972 Mom and dad made some syrup in kettles for first time
Old April 14th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 4600
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 9
Thanked 39 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

How about an old Charlie Brown pillow case for a cone filter with the syrup being stored in an old lead soldered milk can?!?!
Attached Thumbnails
Using cone filters-gary-filtering.1986.jpg  
Old April 15th, 2016, 01:58 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

I think the best thing you can use a cone filter for is a Dunce hat and when you see how stupid you look you will buy a filter press I could never get a good clear syrup and gave up and used them as fire starter the didn't fail at that.
Old April 15th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnnisMaple View Post
How about an old Charlie Brown pillow case for a cone filter with the syrup being stored in an old lead soldered milk can?!?!
Now that's funny Marty. How long ago was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
I think the best thing you can use a cone filter for is a Dunce hat and when you see how stupid you look you will buy a filter press I could never get a good clear syrup and gave up and used them as fire starter the didn't fail at that.
Missing the point of the request Chuck. This is a beginners course for... well... beginners. Likely well under 50 taps on average. Just looking for some visuals to illustrate how to get started with reasonable filtering.
Old April 15th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 4600
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 9
Thanked 39 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Bryan - that was the mid 80's. The picture was probably taken because of the brand spanking new auto-runoff that we had just bought.
Old September 19th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

My mom is using white clothes for filtering. She keeps the cloth tied over the vessel and pours the content.
Old September 19th, 2016, 11:39 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 100
Photos: 1
Thanked 145 Times
  View my photos  

I think Chuck is spot on. Beginners should be advised to not use cone filters, that is the fastest way to make them quit.....I think they are a horrible option for beginners who are using any pan they can find for a filter base