Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 29th, 2016, 02:17 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 58
Thanked 5 Times

Default Homemade Electrical Evaporator

I built a 4 kW electric evaporator from a steam table pan, some lumber, a spa heating element, and miscellaneous wiring components. I tested it tonight and got a 1.25 gph evap rate during freezing outdoor weather. If I calculated the energy cost per gallon of syrup correctly, it came out to $17.16/gallon. The cost of the evaporator was around $100. Here's a pic.

Old February 29th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Producer

Thanked 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
Man that's cool you need to fill it with meat balls and bring it up to shack next Friday. I'm only kidding. Where is the UL approved sticker?? is it under the duct tape switch outlet?
I don nid no steenkin UL approved sticker.

Seriously, everything is grounded safely, if not quite up to UL standards. The duct tape makes it spider-tight, at least from the outside. I still had to clean out the wooden box before the season. On my next boil, I'm going to leave a temperature probe in the box to see how warm it gets.
Old February 29th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 160
Thanked 6 Times

You must have pretty cheap power as I just figured it out for me to do it up here in Ontario would be cheaper to go buy the syrup and still save 50%. (Not that I would) But the power 152kWh I calculated for the gallon would cost us $110 give or take a few bucks. I'm using a rate of 12.8 per kWh then the kicker about $75 for delivery, another 13% tax. So anything to do with our hydro we feel like

Cool set up though.
Old March 1st, 2016, 12:33 AM
Producer

Thanked 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxJ View Post
You must have pretty cheap power as I just figured it out for me to do it up here in Ontario would be cheaper to go buy the syrup and still save 50%. (Not that I would) But the power 152kWh I calculated for the gallon would cost us $110 give or take a few bucks. I'm using a rate of 12.8 per kWh then the kicker about $75 for delivery, another 13% tax. So anything to do with our hydro we feel like

Cool set up though.
Holy Moly, that's a lot for power. My kWh rate was for generation, transmission, and distribution. I'm not sure if additional per kWh charges get tacked onto my bill, but most of the extra charges are paid just for being connected and have no relationship to consumption.
Old April 12th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 91
Thanked 12 Times

Default How about this?

You could get the smaller pans like they use for sauces, and tig them together to make a raised flue pan. Then you could add float box, auto draw off...

Seriously, nice job. You could also use this for finishing., add a temp control type switch like they put on a stove to control heat output. It is an expensive way to make syrup, but for someone to do a gallon or so, an easy way to get involved. My first rig was a propane burner from a dead hot water heater, and a turkey pan. I still use the burner for finishing.

Take care
John
2016 - 72 taps on vacuum, homemade releaser, RO - 9.125 gallons
2017 - 91 taps on vacuum, homemade heated sap shack/releaser + working on upgrading RO system.
Old April 12th, 2016, 07:13 PM
Producer

Thanked 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnj View Post
You could get the smaller pans like they use for sauces, and tig them together to make a raised flue pan. Then you could add float box, auto draw off...

Seriously, nice job. You could also use this for finishing., add a temp control type switch like they put on a stove to control heat output. It is an expensive way to make syrup, but for someone to do a gallon or so, an easy way to get involved. My first rig was a propane burner from a dead hot water heater, and a turkey pan. I still use the burner for finishing.

Take care
John
I actually did make another pan for finishing, or getting very close to finished. It takes two gallons to immerse the element in the first pan, so to use it for finishing, it would have to hold close to two gallons of syrup. Whenever I wanted to use it for a small batch, I was still boiling off over a gallon of water into my kitchen, so now I pour the 2 gallons into the "finish" pan and boil it off outside. For the second pan, I used a half-size pan and put the element close to the edge so I can tilt the pan up to keep the element covered until I'm down to about two quarts of liquid. I used a 5500W element, but I only wired it to 120 volts, so it's only 1375W, but it gets the job done and it doesn't take up capacity from the 240V 50A feeder that goes to my deck.