Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 8th, 2012, 07:02 AM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Producer

Number of Taps: 140
Journals: 2
Photos: 35
Thanked 15 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default Hillbilly hood

I recall seeing on the trader, a homemade hood with some small dimensional lumber and plastic sheeting. Does anyone have some pics or ideas about that…? I have spent way too much this year to go with a "Real" hood, but think a rinkydink one may be better than nothing. Would it have to be a bit larger than my 2x4 pan? Is there a way that I could make it so that the condensate isn't dripping down my back all day? Any ideas would be great.
The Following User Says Thank You to GramaCindy For This Post:
Garytech74 (November 11th, 2013)
Old January 8th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times

Keep in mind a hood doesnt have to be all big and huge to work. They do make a plastic paneling that would be moisture repelent that you could build one from. If you have a coupla you could make a plastic frame that can self support and hang down from the ceiling. Some 3/4" PVC for the frame and 4mil sheating.
Go up stars and get one of them thar HOOP SKIRTS and hang it over the evap
Old January 8th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 9000
Thanked 90 Times
Cube Crash Champion  

We had such a hood for 40 years. There is a pic on the trader in the thread about my Dad's passing of him leaned against it (I'd post it here but need help for anything that complicated on the computer). It was simply a frame of 1x4's with plastic stapled on it. Was attached to the rafters just under the cupola. Slightly wider than the evaporator and about a foot above it so we had access to the pans. I later attached a section of eave trough to the edge to funnel the drip to one end of the evaporator. Good luck
Old January 8th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 20000
Photos: 7
  View my photos  

I have about a 3 X 3 hood in the scrap pipe that is yours for the taking. Nothing wrong with with it. It also has an inline blower. This new woods we have the guy ran a 6 X 16 wood fired and was scared to finish over wood so he finished on a 3 X 3 off to the side. It has been in my way so I tore it out this summer and threw it on scrap pile.
Old January 8th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Journals: 43
Photos: 75
Thanked 87 Times

yeah, I need to think about this alittle. I have a metal roof with just ferring strips. I may need to add something to stop the condensation on the metal and dripping all over the place. What would be a simple/inexpensive material for this year?
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 125
Thanked 4 Times

Default Hillbilly hood

I was logged in last year as Daniel mercer. Now my user name is Merklin Maples. My brother built me a steam hood for my evaporator last year. Looks and worked great. He lives in Milwaukee. I talked to him the other day and said he would be interested in building another one. He made mine from coil stock like they use for soffits and such. If I had the demensions you need He could make one for you as well. Of course for a price and I do not know what that would be. I have pictures but am unsure how to post them for you to see. It made all the difference not having to stand in the rainy saphouse
Old January 14th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Producer

Thanked 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merklin Maples View Post
I was logged in last year as Daniel mercer. Now my user name is Merklin Maples. My brother built me a steam hood for my evaporator last year. Looks and worked great. He lives in Milwaukee. I talked to him the other day and said he would be interested in building another one. He made mine from coil stock like they use for soffits and such. If I had the demensions you need He could make one for you as well. Of course for a price and I do not know what that would be. I have pictures but am unsure how to post them for you to see. It made all the difference not having to stand in the rainy saphouse
Hey Merklin, here is my email. tcmooseman@gmail.com. I would love to see some pics. Just came back from your neck of the woods. nice day.
Old January 14th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Producer

Thanked 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by typical8 View Post
I have about a 3 X 3 hood in the scrap pipe that is yours for the taking. Nothing wrong with with it. It also has an inline blower. This new woods we have the guy ran a 6 X 16 wood fired and was scared to finish over wood so he finished on a 3 X 3 off to the side. It has been in my way so I tore it out this summer and threw it on scrap pile.
Hey Typical8, is there anyway that you could post a pic for me…? or here is my email. Thank you! tcmooseman@gmail.com
Old January 14th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 775
Photos: 50
Thanked 4 Times
  View my photos  

I have one of these plastic hood that you were asking about and I do have pic of it up on the trader. It worked great last year i used some left over rain gutter and just draped the plastic into it to catch the condensate. I also put a slight slope on the gutter and drained it in 2 spots. The last thing we did with this build was to put some concrete board between the plastic and the stack so that it wouldn't melt. Any questions please ask.
Old January 14th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Producer

Thanked 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
I have one of these plastic hood that you were asking about and I do have pic of it up on the trader. It worked great last year i used some left over rain gutter and just draped the plastic into it to catch the condensate. I also put a slight slope on the gutter and drained it in 2 spots. The last thing we did with this build was to put some concrete board between the plastic and the stack so that it wouldn't melt. Any questions please ask.
Thank You Miles, hard to tell what exactly i'm looking at. I presume it's from above?