Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 1st, 2016, 05:10 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 91
Thanked 12 Times

Default Another 5/16 Spooler

I was going to run lateral lines today, but quickly realized not having a spooler would be a serious mistake.

So I whipped up something in the shop. Made from 6 inch PVC tubing, a chunk of left over aluminum, some SS tubing and all thread. The hub was the best part. Had enough time to try it out - Already have a couple of gripes to work on - does anyone have any sort of tension brake on their spoolers? - this spools way to easy, and wants to keep going round and round and round and ....

Didn't get any lat lines run, but it will go way faster tomorrow!

Happy New Year
John
Attached Thumbnails
Another 5/16 Spooler-img_0599.jpg   Another 5/16 Spooler-img_0600.jpg   Another 5/16 Spooler-img_0602.jpg  
Old January 1st, 2016, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 210
Thanked 126 Times

A brake could be fashioned by using a larger disc under the aluminum hub. The disc would have to be intregral with the hanger hook/swivel. Gravity would supply the friction. And I agree, you need something to prevent free-spooling.
Where did you acquire that piece of 6 inch plexi?

210 vacuum taps plus the neighbors
2X10 Intensofire clone
Smoky Lake pans that ROCK!
16X24 syrup shack
Old January 2nd, 2016, 03:13 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1300
Photos: 1
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

Looks like your brake is built in. When you want to stop just give a quick yank and it will tilt catching one of the rods.
If you do slow it down, You will want a ring connecting those rods together so they don't catch the pipe..
2 sugar makers in training
Very understanding wife
Old January 2nd, 2016, 07:43 AM
Producer

Thanked 12 Times

Default Thanks

A couple thoughts/responses

The piece of pipe is transparent PVC schedule 40. It is basically the same thing as the white stuff you get at Home Depot, but is see-thru. We use it at work to build vessels when we need to see liquid level. This piece is a left over cut-off.

You can tell I have not been in this maple racket very long... till now it has been all on buckets - now I understand why you need the hoop. Guess I would have discovered that on my own today. I'll dig something out of the junk pile and get that mounted before I get going. Thanks for that tip.

My thinking for brake is to machine tapers into either side of the hub on the lathe, then make 2 Delrin cones that fit the tapers, and drill through. Attach everything together with a 1/4-20 bolt and nylock, and adjust for appropriate tension. Sort of like a bicycle wheel but no ball bearings. (when you are a machinist, everything looks like a job for the lathe). Inspiration for that idea from the bicycle wheel spooler made by Jimsudz.

Best to all and thanks for the comments

John
Old January 2nd, 2016, 07:45 AM
Producer

Thanked 12 Times

Default Yes

And it DOES look like a bird feeder!
Old January 2nd, 2016, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 210
Thanked 126 Times

John,
The tapered brake, while brilliant, might be too much. You only want to stop the coasting, free-wheeling spin.
Knowing you have a lathe, (as do I), I would machine the brake disc the same diameter as your aluminum hub. Not sure how aluminum-to-aluminum would wear. Perhaps grinding and galling would happen. A fiber or thin plywood washer would help that. If there is still too much brake, make the washer or the disc itself a smaller diameter.
When I made mine, the hang rod went right thru to the bottom, and ended in a 3 inch disc. The disc carried three spokes and a rim, which supported the tubing roll. I welded three dots of weld to engage the spokes, but that turned out to be too much. I ended up having to apply a dot of grease to the disc/weld dots, to make it spin a little easier.

And I identify with "everything looks like a job for the lathe" thing. I can't cut off a piece of PVC without facing off and deburring inside and outside. Sounds like a take-off on the old proverb, "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

210 vacuum taps plus the neighbors
2X10 Intensofire clone
Smoky Lake pans that ROCK!
16X24 syrup shack
Old January 2nd, 2016, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 175 Times

My first spooler was made out of 3/8" plywood discs and I had 4 spokes to difine the tubing diameter. Then I made a hook to hang it from top center. I initially used a long hook bolt and put a lock nut (or maybe double nutted the bottom end, I had a few fender washers, 2-3 under the plywood and 2-3 above. Then I had a heavy spring and another lock nut to adjust tension. That worked well, but I soon found that it was unnecessary and I removed the spring. It coasted some but not much.
www.cnymaple.com
Old January 2nd, 2016, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1300
Photos: 1
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

Little off topic, but looks like clear releasers in your future?
2 sugar makers in training
Very understanding wife
Old January 3rd, 2016, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 175 Times

I might suggest as a simple fix, just place a large rubber washer under the load bearing pivot. Then just the weight might slow it. To do that you may need to weld a fender washer to the lock nut (all metal lock nut, if plastic insert type, try epoxy), then there will likely be friction enough.
www.cnymaple.com
Old January 3rd, 2016, 07:53 AM
Producer

Thanked 12 Times

Default Clear releasers

Well I would love to do it, but the stuff is expensive, and I don't think I could justify buying 8 inch transparent PVC. McMaster sells schedule 80 - 8 inch pipe 5 foot long for $115 and 4 foot long schedule 40 transparent is $250. I'll stick with the cheaper, stronger, I think.

Any thoughts on using 8 inch or do I need to go larger for an electric releaser?... I am thinking 2.5 feet long, gives me about 6 gallons total volume. This only needs to support maybe 100 taps.

Gonna be a busy next couple of months, trying to get everything put together...

Rgds
John