Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old December 10th, 2015, 08:35 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 150
Thanked 8 Times

Default 2x8 Arch Build

I started a thread last week on another website about AOF/AUF and had a lot of help from that community and felt ready to take the plunge and start building. I've now started my arch build and have gleaned a lot of information from other people's builds. Attached are some photos of the arch. I have three days into the build. I'm not very efficient and not a great welder but am making progress.

I have purchased the 3/8" threaded black pipe for the AOF and went to buy a tap as I am planning on tapping my AOF rails. Found out that a 3/8" NPT thread tap is not the same as the 3/8" threaded pipe. Does anyone know what size tap I need? Thanks in advance.

I'm using a combination of 2x2 and 2x3 angle. 2x2 tube (AOF), 3x3 tube (door frame) and 2x4 tube to bring the initial air into the firebox before splitting it and running down the side in the 2x2 tubing. I am bringing AOF into the door frame to help keep it cooler.

Comments, suggestions, and questions welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
2x8 Arch Build-arch-door-2.jpg   2x8 Arch Build-arch-door-1.jpg   2x8 Arch Build-door-nuts-welded.jpg   2x8 Arch Build-door-frame-build.jpg  
Old December 10th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member
Researcher

Classified Ads: 1
Photos: 2
Thanked 99 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Much easier to weld them on
Old December 10th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member
Researcher

Classified Ads: 1
Photos: 2
Thanked 99 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Here is a few more ideas from my build I did a few years ago. Many have copied it and tweeked it to there liking.

The Dragon
Old December 15th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Producer

Thanked 8 Times

I've got a firebox question? On my 2x8 arch build, the firebox section is 25" x 57". I'm going to have 2" of blanket with 2" thick firebrick all around so the finished floor size will be 17" x 49" How long of grating would you put in?

Last edited by feychad; December 15th, 2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old December 15th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

That is one long fire box. I would say if your plans are to shove the entire box full of wood then that is your grate size. I would make it smaller in length and add a transition to the back area. You will get good fire and heat transfer to the pans with a grate of 36" and transition up to the flues/pans.
Old December 15th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Producer

Thanked 8 Times

I was hoping to build an intensofire clone and have been told the firebox should be 2/3 the length of of the pans. That would be 63". That seemed extremely long to me so I cut it back 14" to 49" or half the length of the pans roughly. I do have a transition that can be seen in the photos but maybe I should shorten the firebox another foot?
Old December 15th, 2015, 09:47 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times

If your adding aof and auf do not shorten it. Also a square back wall is better than a ramp in this type arch. Also I think you are off a bit on your math . Skip the 2 inch thick brick and go with splits, the more area you have in your firebox the better you will get secondary combustion. Every inch is big.
Old December 15th, 2015, 10:07 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times

never mind
Old December 16th, 2015, 12:06 AM
Producer

Thanked 8 Times

I am planning on AOF/AUF. I was planning on the 2" fire brick below the AOF which will be 2x2" tube, 6" below the top rail. The 2x2" tube will be wrapped with two 1" pieces of blanket that go up to the top rail without any firebrick from the AOF 2x2" tube to the top rail. Do you think I should go with splits on the floor and sidewalls up to the 2x2" AOF rail to save space? Will the splits hold up to the wood being thrown in? Or do you think the added room above the AOF will be sufficient to burn the gases because there will only be 2" of insulation above the rail?
Old December 18th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 90
Thanked 22 Times

Default Bricks

I used full bricks on the floor and 3 rows up on their side of course. Then I switched to splits for the rest. More room means more wood which means more heat potential. Burn baby burn