Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old September 11th, 2015, 11:12 AM

Thanked 0 Times

Default Door for arch?

I'm going to be building a block arch. What does everyone use as a door and for draft control?
Old September 11th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 701
Thanked 110 Times

Depends on how fancy you want to be with it. Some people just use a piece of metal that they lean against the blocks. The angle also provides some air for the fire. Others go all out and they build a regular fire door like a normal woodstove. It's all in what you want to put in to it. The back some just block it like the sides and leave a block out on the top and then just use a floor duct fitting to tie it in to the stack. Some also add a grate in there as well. You haven't mentioned how far your willing to go with this or the money your looking to spend on it. And also you haven't mentioned the size of the block arch your looking to build. Will it be taken down every year or will you be cementing it all together.
All taps on drop tubes into buckets.
Smoky Lake Filter/Finisher/Filter.
Smoky Lake Crescendo Auto Draw.
Brother-in-law for a partner in crime.
Wife and 4 kids.
Old September 11th, 2015, 02:16 PM

Thanked 0 Times

To be honest I'm not sure. I think for the first year I'll take it down, this will be by first time making syrup. If I like it, etc I'll make it permanent. Size depends on how big the pans are. I'm also not sure of it would be best to batch it in one big pan, or have multiple pans and transfer from one to the other. I would think batch would be easier.
Old September 11th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

If you plan is to start out slow and see if you become a hard core addict then I would keep it simple. When you do batch boiling you have a few options when the syrup ios done. 1 put fire out ASAP with water. 2 lift pan off arch risking life and limb. 3 shovel fire out of combustion chamber when your close and let it simmer to a cool state.

Things can happen quick once your to density and syrup to road tar is a harrowing experience. So have a plan and design your block arch around it. Good luck and have fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Haynes Forest Products For This Post:
lmholmes11 (September 11th, 2015)
Old September 12th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 100
Photos: 1
Thanked 145 Times
  View my photos  

Haynes is right, have a plan as batch boiling has very little mercy in the lessons it teaches. You may want to kill your fire when it is almost syrup, say 218 degrees or 63 brix. Then let it cool and test. If your not there then it is easy to finish with controlled heat on a turkey fryer or stove top. You should consider insulation board or firebrick on the inside or your block will just crumble at the end of the season. Regular concrete block will not hold up under the high heat. If you don't already have one get a hydrometer, temp alone is not a reliable guide as to when you have syrup. Search the two forum for block arches, people here have built some pretty nice ones and posted pictures over the years.

You may as well just start saving for a regular evaporator and shack.....it's not even a matter of "if I like It". Very seldom does someone try sugaring and just say, "I don't want to do that again". It's like marriage, you can decide to try it very easily, but it's a lot harder to get out of and you learn to love it the more you do it and it never succeeds if you don't work at it and put in your best effort. sometimes it will burn you, but most of the time it's the sweetest thing you've ever had.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buckeye Gold For This Post:
lmholmes11 (September 12th, 2015)
Old September 12th, 2015, 09:03 AM

Thanked 0 Times

Well put Buckeye.
Okay so if not batch boiling, could someone explain the process for the different pans, and transferring sap/syrup from one to the other?
Old September 12th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 9000
Thanked 90 Times
Cube Crash Champion  

Haynes, it's time for your gradient lecture!
Old September 12th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

NO NO NO That lesson is way down the road Thompson. Ill leave Holmes alone for awhile.

Holmes Youtube making maple syrup and you will see quite a few videos of backyard syrup makers and it will give you a few ideas. Now I will say that you will find more than a few guys doing it on the cheap. You will also see guys that just crawled out of there parents basement and reinvented how not to do it do your homework.

This sport is about constantly improving your methods so take a gander at some of the videos and keep asking questions we enjoy the company.

Last edited by Haynes Forest Products; September 12th, 2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old September 12th, 2015, 10:23 AM

Thanked 0 Times

Thanks guys!