Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old April 24th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Retired

Number of Taps: 300
Thanked 3 Times

Default V or U for flue pan

been looking but can't seem to find the answer..i want to build a new flue pan for my 2x6 d&g oil fired,thinking about going wood with 20 g stainless..i know 22 g is better but my welding isn't that good..i can weld 20 but holes in 22..the thing I'm having an issue with are the flues..my break will only make a V shape..can any body tell me which is better and how big a flue to make..im thinking 6" or 7.5 "..what would be the difference in boil rate with V or U....any answers would be greatly appreciated...mike
M4700 Kabota tractor sap collecter

shooting for 1000 taps
Old April 24th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 14 Times

Someone on here or the trader had made there own set of pans for a 2x6 including there flue pan, to make flues like factory pans you need a flue break who's you would have to make, a tradition break won't make flues like the factory pans have. I would talk to Jim from smokey lake about the V flues cause he use to make those(not sure if he still does, I saw he had them on his site at one time) as for boil rate between the 2, which ever one has more surface area should boil faster

2x4 phaneuf with 2x4 hybrid pan
2-350 gal, 5-55 gal drums, and a cage tank

only 17 yr old at school making syrup!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carney...3279081?ref=hl
Old August 2nd, 2014, 09:05 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Was rereading this thread and was wondering if the shape of the flue is important as the size. Spencer you mention more surface area. Now I will admit I haven't gotten out some paper and tape and mocked one up. I believe there are a few other things to consider and that's Turbulence of the flame/heat as it flows over the flue surface. I believe there are so many variables its hard to know what is the best configuration for your set up.

1) wood burning
2) wood burning simple blower blasted in to combustion chamber
3 WB simple blower blasting into ash chamber
4) WB AOF
5) WB AUF
6) WB AOF with AUF
7) WB Air injection
8) All of the above drop flue
9) all of the above raised flue
10) Oil
11) natural gas
12) pellet

I also think that heat transfer if effected by the shape of the flue NOT just the size. Will a flame that passes over a V flue transfer more heat than a box flue? Will one trap unspent gasses more than the other?
Old August 2nd, 2014, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 210
Thanked 126 Times

OK, Chuck!! Thanks for clearing that right up!;

Actually, I think that surface area is by far the most important factor, not that flue shape doesn't influence things somewhat.
As far as depth of flues, a builder would probably want to minimize waste and maximize material usage, so some preliminary calculations need to be done. The dimensions of mine (8 feet long) are based on a 48 inch wide sheet, with no waste. Then again, if by chance, the flues are to be 48 inches LONG, then almost any flue dimensions could be used, given a 10 foot sheet.

210 vacuum taps plus the neighbors
2X10 Intensofire clone
Smoky Lake pans that ROCK!
16X24 syrup shack