Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 25
Thanked 7 Times

Default How high in the firebox do I place chimney vent?

Hello,

Question for all of you...

First, I'm about done with my new block rig. Thanks to everyone who helped me fix the various flaws. I've been able to incorporate most of your suggestions and ideas. I now have the blocks levels and sitting on a crushed rock foundation. More boiling area for the pan. A large fire grate propped up on bricks. A galvanized chimney stack. We pulled lots of small, seasoned wood from our woodlot in the past week that should keep us boiling for quite a while.

My question is thus: I have a blank space in between the rear cinderblocks for the chimney to go, my only question is this: does it get placed below the fire grate or at the same level as the fire grate? My instinct tells me under the fire grate to allow for down draft, but perhaps my instinct is wrong.

I'll post pictures once we get boiling - hopefully this Friday or Saturday. Can't wait.

Run sap, run.

SH
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Out the top of the arch which is the same level that the pans sit on. You do not want any dead spaces for the hot gases to get trapped in. The flames and hot gasses need to flow under the pans and you don't want spent fumes to build up a space in the back of the arch/pan area to force the heat down away from the pans.
Old February 19th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

I would also be careful on your first firing because galvanized pipe will burn off a nasty white gas you don't want to breath.
Old February 20th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 25
Thanked 7 Times

Thanks, Haynes, makes sense, and very helpful.

SH