Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old December 17th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 18 Times

Default 7 in filter press dimensions

Hi I am new to the site but it is awesome and I was wondering if anybody would be willing to give the dimensions of the plates because my brother may be able the machine me a filter press and pics would also help thank you very much
Old December 17th, 2011, 08:40 AM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Researcher

Number of Taps: 2
Photos: 18
Thanked 332 Times
  View my photos  

Depending upon the size press you want to try and build. The 7" is 7" to the outside edge and the holes are 1/2" in dia. on the bottom. Papers that are made for these i have seen on Bascom's box listed as 7 3/8" X 7 3/8" (Yes they are made to overlap some). They have what is called a chamber and the other plates are Waffle looking. The very end plate is different then from the Head plate where your pipe comes in from a pump pushing the syrup.

!0" is 10"

You may need to go look at one to be certain you know how the holes are cut. It has funny looking holes like on the feed hole and outlet holes.
Old December 17th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Daryl's 5" filter press
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 1100
Classified Ads: 2
Thanked 85 Times
  View my ads  
Default Filter press

I have made them for close to 4 years. Still I don't make all of the parts correct sometimes. It is easy to get a plate turned to wrong way. If they were easy every one would make them.
Dealers for DSD, Memprotec, Sunrise Metal Shop
& Bosworth Pumps
Old December 17th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Producer

Thanked 18 Times

Well we went to get supplies today and my brother saw one and he says that he will be able to make one for next season but I picture of the end plates would help thanks
Old December 17th, 2011, 05:26 PM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Researcher

Number of Taps: 2
Photos: 18
Thanked 332 Times
  View my photos  

Most of the factory made presses are made w/cast with a little bit of maching. Most have perticular nubs molded into the side or one side of teh plates rest that sit on the rods during assembly are specially shaped. This is to tell the operator of correct assembly position.

If he is going to machine them 100% from flat stock then it's too difficult knowing where the starting point is and clamping down and hitting the CNC start button to run the program. Operator error or defective start piece if something comes out wrong.

The ends are like waffle plates with the head end where the syrup feeds into had the (2) 1/2" holes completely through for syrup to flow in and out. The end plate has just a small chamber behind like the 1/2" hole about 1/2" to 3/4" deep that is only open on the return side (Feed end is closed as to allow syrup to enter the last chamber and go through the filter) as well as the many before it.

due some homework and search up filter press and look at some pics to get soem idea's for your homemade press.
Old December 17th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Producer

Thanked 18 Times

Thanks Kevin you have been very helpful when I look up filte press I am having hard time finding good pics maybe someone could post pics of each of the pieces thanks for all the help
Old December 17th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Forum d’échange pour Acériculteurs Moderator
Producer

Number of Taps: 197
Photos: 11
Thanked 77 Times
  View my photos  

500592, you dont think that a 7" filter press is big for a 200 tap operation?
Old December 17th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Producer

Thanked 18 Times

A lot of it will be on vacuum and I wont use the full full bank also the way my trees run I should make 75- 100 gallons of syrup on decent year
Old December 17th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Producer

Thanked 18 Times

I just watched sweetest drip and they had a great pic of the filter press by the way this site is very easy to use it is awesome nice job guys
Old December 20th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Producer

Thanked 18 Times

Does anybody know where I get a hand pump for a filter press thanks