Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 21st, 2014, 12:29 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Photos: 2
Thanked 10 Times
  View my photos  
Default New arch rail spacing

I am looking at starting a new arch project, if i am looking to fit a 2x6 flue pan and a 2x2 syrup pan, what should the spacing of the angle iron rails be? 2'x8' total width? or do you open(so you can see 1/2 inch or so of rail) it up a tad to give that tiny bit extra heat on the pan. If my math is right that is about 120 inch/sq extra.

Any thoughts?
Old January 21st, 2014, 01:23 PM
Producer

Thanked 7 Times

whether it is right or wrong theses days, the old leader arch (2x6) I got last year was a little over 25" wide. only about 3/4" of the pan sits on the rails (1.5" wide). it made me nervous so I added tabs to the rail so the pans would not move. Dane.
Old January 21st, 2014, 01:27 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

If I understand you right your wanting to know how much pan you want sitting on the arch rail. What I know with my rig. I have a 3x10 oil fired. My pans move during the day due to vibration...................YUP my rig will move 1/2 3/4 inch during the day mainly the finish pans. I use 1" arch gasket and when my pans are centerd on the arch I can see about a 1/4" of the gasket so I have about 3/4" contact. I wouldn't go less that that. I wish I was at 1". I added a screw clamp set up to keep my pans tight so they don't get wobbly. I understand efficiency but the pan has to sit on the rail.

Being a slow learner and stubborn I didn't add the clamping set up until I had to. Why did I have to/ Well I was in the habit of walking past the pans and with a quick whack with my elbow down low in the corner of the front pan so as not to dent it I could keep the pans nice and tight. WEEEEELL I missed the pan and hit the corner of the arch right on the tip of my bone. I fixed it ASAP .
Old January 21st, 2014, 01:36 PM
Producer

Thanked 10 Times
  View my photos  

Ok, i understand, in a perfect world i would wait until i had a set of pans, (most likely used) before starting my build. Is a 2x6 drop flue pan from different larger manufactures always literally 2' x 6'? and how close do the flue pan and syrup pan normally fit together are they tight fitting? or is there a gap between?

Thanks again for the advise.
Old January 21st, 2014, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 210
Thanked 126 Times

Sappy,
I built my own arch and made a mistake. I can tell you with my pans and the transfer fittings, you need NO MORE than 25 3/4 outside to outside. 25 1/2 is better yet. Use narrow enough angle iron to keep overlap to a minimum.
When I set the flue pan on the arch, the flanges from the transfer ports just straddled the rails. No room for clamps.

I used a piece of 1/4 X 1 1/2 X 25 3/4 flat iron, wrapped in woven pan gasket and inserted on edge between the flue pan and syrup pan. And another one could be inserted between the stack base plate and the far end of the flue pan.
Forcing screws and a crosspiece of light angle iron and again, another piece of pan gasket (25 3/4 long) push on the syrup pan and clamp all this together, against the stack base plate.

210 vacuum taps plus the neighbors
2X10 Intensofire clone
Smoky Lake pans that ROCK!
16X24 syrup shack
Old January 21st, 2014, 04:28 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Larry has it right when it comes to the float box and transfer pipes. They can very and you don't want to be grinding away the side of the arch. Good question about between the pan gaskets. We spend all day and night trying to get the best out of our rigs. Having small cold air leaks between the arch and pans and between the pans can cause a small curtain of air to get drawn into the arch cooling the surface just a little but a little is not good. Blowing cool air into the fire box to aid in combustion is different so don't confuse the two. I used to put rail gasket between the pans with poor success. Fire blanket worked better but was like wiping cotton candy off the ground with a ball of cotton. I made up some V shaped holders that crimped onto the strip of 2" X 1" blanket that would hold it in place during operation and pan changes

Now if you didn't make your arch remember that you will be bricking the inside so account for it in you calculations. Splits or mini splits are 1/2 Bricks that work well on the sides and will fit under the angle iron lip and wont block the heat from the pan. Its best that you have you pans sitting on the bench before you start. If its a drop flue inside dementions can be critical Raised flue anything go's.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:29 AM
Producer

Thanked 10 Times
  View my photos  

Great info and advice, thanks again. as for bricking, on my first build I put ceramic blanket behind the brick in the firebox area.. But for the flu area I only put ceramic blanket. in the last 2 years of use there has only been about a handful of ash near the stack, so I will probably do that again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sappy Mapleman For This Post:
Ecnerwal (January 28th, 2014)