Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2300
Thanked 15 Times

Default Homemade tank

So I decided to build a sap tank since I waited to long to order one and didn't want poly. Built a steel frame and am using 20 gauge stainless inside. It's a square tank. Using a mig welder for all of the welding. When I started to weld the stainless together I tried to run continious welds but after about a inch wire doesn't feed very good. Has anyone run into this feeding .030 stainless wire? Welder is almost brand new only has about 12 lbs of wire run through it. It's a miller 211 welder. Just a lil worried about leaks with spot welded the entire tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Homemade tank-image.jpg  
Old January 12th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 250
Thanked 7 Times

Did you try increasing the tension on the wire feed roller arm? I have the same welder and sometimes the wire doesnt feed the greatest but increasing the tension on that arm helps.

250 Taps trying for 300
Leader 2x6 Patriot Pans
Homemade Hood and preheater
Custom 2x6 Wildfire Arch
Orion Dry Vane Vacuum Pump for High Vac
Giles Bernard Single Releaser
Delaval 75 Vacuum Pump for Backup
Old January 12th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Producer

Thanked 15 Times

It would weld about a inch sometimes up to 4 inches continious then it would stop feeding fast enough to even short arc. Wire should be clean had just opened a brand new spool. Tightened tension on feed roll no effect. Weld area was clean.It would have a nice weld puddle until wire slowed then wasn't making enough heat to make a nice puddle. If I turn heat up and feed up till I can spray transfer then i have to just keep spotting it all then way it gets the nicest weld. Funny thing is before I bought material had some scrap 20 ga stainless and carbon wire and that would weld continious no problem so it seemed like it was just the stainless wire.
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 200
Photos: 48
Thanked 12 Times
  View my photos  

Is the contact tip worn out ? Maybe change it .
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:11 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 18000

Are you using the right gas?
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:15 AM
Producer

Thanked 15 Times

It could be gas but welding salesman said this gas would work for spray or short arc welding. It's a trimix for stainless 90 helium 7.5 argon 2.5 co2.
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Producer

Thanked 15 Times

Everything on welder and lead is in good shape brand new machine last may. And have done very little welding with it only about 12 lbs of carbon wire have been run through machine before this project. I wanted .023 ss wire but was told about problems with it feeding. But now it seems that this .030 is not feeding but its only when it's run continious. When I do the spot weld continiously never have a problem with it burning the tip or not feeding so not sure what is causing it. Changing the feed and heat settings has no effect either.
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Producer

Thanked 15 Times

Tried this too... So your thinking heat is causing wire to oversize? Wire would feed fine just running it out.
Old January 14th, 2014, 06:00 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 250
Thanked 7 Times

Does the angle of the gun in relationship to the metal change from when it feeds good until it stops feeding? It almost sounds like you not feeding the wire fast enough and it is burning back to the tip. Are you using the auto set mode?

250 Taps trying for 300
Leader 2x6 Patriot Pans
Homemade Hood and preheater
Custom 2x6 Wildfire Arch
Orion Dry Vane Vacuum Pump for High Vac
Giles Bernard Single Releaser
Delaval 75 Vacuum Pump for Backup
Old January 14th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Producer

Thanked 15 Times

Gun angle isn't having effect tried all different angles. Tried auto set its so slow and not much penetration if I turn it up on auto set it burns through. Have heat just above where it says for 20 ga on auto set but wire speed is twice recommended setting. It works fine if I just tack continiously can't even tell weld wasn't run continious.