Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old December 9th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default Help with my Honda

I have a 8 HP Honda that has been sitting for 6 years Zero Hrs on it. Oil level is fine Carb is free of dirt was stored dry of both gas and oil. Gas lines are free flowing. The spark plug is clean and adjusted. I had to pull it about 20 times to get it to show signs of life. I had it run for about 30 seconds before it quit. NOW if it sits for 5 min and I give it a tug it starts and quits within 1 second. Give it a pull right away nothing. Wait few min and it will start and shut right down. It has oil so I cant believe its the oil alert. I don't feel its a fuel problem because if I give it a squirt of ether it wont fire up without waiting. I disconnected the wire to the oil sending unit and it had no effect.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with my Honda-020.jpg  
Old December 10th, 2013, 02:43 AM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times

Pull the air cleaner and take the mouse nest out of it. Sounds like its flooding out and not getting enough air. Once the gas in it evaporates out the exhaust it fires again until flooding out. That is my best guess.
Old December 10th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

sounds like you should have tried it 6 years ago. The oil needs to be to the bottom of the dip stick threads or it will run just like that sometimes ( remember its a low oil shutdown not a no oil shutdown ). Are you using a ethanol gas blend? If so is it older than 30 days? If your fuel is fresh than I would drain the float bowl ( ethanol and water??? ) and try it again. If that doesn't work take the carb off remove the float and needle valve and blow air thru the fuel inlet. If I had to guess you got a dose of water in the fuel system or something is stopping the fuel from getting from the petcock to the metering side of the carb.
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 900
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Thanked 210 Times

Is it possible Chuck is using beer for fuel? Just a guess? :)
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 124 Times

Sounds like XYZ is on the right track to me. One other thing we had was a sticky valve. Ours would fire but stall immediately, and then not start for a couple minutes. When we pulled it over without waiting though the compression thump felt different so we used marvel mystery oil in the oil and a little in the cylinder and it came out of it. These little motors don't seem to like storage and if it was built pre-ethanol it could be a candidate for opening up the main jet just a smidge.
Old December 10th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Dealer

Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like Minded Farmer View Post
Sounds like XYZ is on the right track to me. One other thing we had was a sticky valve. Ours would fire but stall immediately, and then not start for a couple minutes. When we pulled it over without waiting though the compression thump felt different so we used marvel mystery oil in the oil and a little in the cylinder and it came out of it. These little motors don't seem to like storage and if it was built pre-ethanol it could be a candidate for opening up the main jet just a smidge.
I agree on the sticky valve theory, as we see this a lot as well especialy when the customer uses fuel from discount chain stores. Discount gas stations use cheap additive packages that cause a ton of fuel system and valve issues. On this unit Haynes said that it had not been used yet though.
The Following User Says Thank You to xyz5150 For This Post:
wwright (December 10th, 2013)
Old December 10th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 210
Thanked 126 Times

I vote for a fuel problem. Chuck, make sure there is gas right up to the carb.
Get a syringe from the vet department at your farm store. Pull some gas in it. Take the AC off and give it a few drops. Keeping the syringe handy, pull the starter rope briskly. When it dies, give it a few more drops of gas. This will prove or disprove the gas question. Clamping the motor to the bench will prevent the motor from wandering off.
If this doesn't affect the problem, call your wife. Tell her she needs neither gloves nor shoes. Have her put her finger on the spark plug. Pull the starter rope as above. Her reaction will answer the spark question.
Good luck.
PS. If there is spark present, I hope there is a McDonalds nearby. Optional equipment for you might include hard hat, shin guards, cup and perhaps a ballistic vest.

210 vacuum taps plus the neighbors
2X10 Intensofire clone
Smoky Lake pans that ROCK!
16X24 syrup shack
Old December 10th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Journals: 43
Photos: 75
Thanked 87 Times

I agree, low oil.
Sap puller
12x20 grim filter canner.
2017 equipment purchased: short bank Wes fab filter press and spring tech micro elite two post ro!
Plenty of hardwood split! May take 2017 off this year...
Old December 10th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 167
Photos: 23
Thanked 6 Times
  View my photos  

Disconnecting low oil switch wire eliminates that as cause

Check spark with in line tester so you can see if you loose spark when engine dies. If yes probably a bad coil

Remove fuel bowl from carb to make sure no old gas varnish

Now you know why it was parked for so many years.
Old December 10th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 124 Times

Last year I bought a brand new but old stock pump. It is 2 stroke and I got a deal because it had been sold twice and returned for no start. It turned out there was no key on the crankshaft, so the flywheel had slipped around enough that the timing was way off. New key and it runs. This one would cough once in a while too while pulling it over.