Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old December 8th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default Syrup transfer pump

I had a few Ebay parts laying around and put together a transfer pump. I was using my filter press to take the finished syrup from my draw off bucket to the finish pan in the kitchen. With a RO things can get hectic when things start humming along and syrup starts filling up the tanks and no place to go. I have SS Plumbing parts on order with cam locks to make things easy. I will have 2 incoming ports and discharge ports so I can use it to transfer the sweet back into the evap after cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails
Syrup transfer pump-wp_20131205_006.jpg   Syrup transfer pump-wp_20131205_007.jpg   Syrup transfer pump-wp_20130327_002.jpg  
Old December 8th, 2013, 02:23 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

OH YEA that's the wife standing there looking at the mess..................SHUT THE AUTO DRAW OFF sweetie.
Old December 8th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 900
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Thanked 210 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Can you move the pics to " what wrong with this picture" Chuck? :D

3rdgen took a beat down the other day, its your turn!

All joking aside, looks great Chuck. I don't know what flow rates your looking for but what we use at work with those gear pumps is a DC variable speed motor . Direct coupled , and you can really fine tune your flow. :)
Old December 8th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

Thanks BOB but there is only one speed for me...................Wide open Flow rate for syrup off the evap will be fine. transferring sap around the evap during cleaning might be to slow. I have fellow producers that bottle in my kitchen and this will be nice for pumping cold finished syrup into my finisher. I hate dumping buckets and splashing it everywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to Haynes Forest Products For This Post:
wishlist (December 8th, 2013)
Old December 8th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 900
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Thanked 210 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Somehow I knew "wide open" would be your mode of operation Chuck. Lol.... Order yourself a spare gasket for that pump. They are super thin and if your not extremely careful you'll tear it for sure.
Old December 8th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 210
Thanked 126 Times

Chuck,
I made and use one of those too. My motor was reversible, so I added double throw toggle switch to reverse it. I like it so I can empty the hose or correct an overfill issue. (like that would ever happen!) DONT FORGET to check rotation before turning on the main switch!
I equipped it with cam-lock couplers so I can easily use a variety of draw-out and discharge options. It is pretty stripped down compared to yours. I can grab it by the plumbing in one hand and carry it, set it on a barrel, floor, counter, etc.
I like wishlists idea of a variable speed motor. Where is a good place to look for the DC motor and speed controller?

210 vacuum taps plus the neighbors
2X10 Intensofire clone
Smoky Lake pans that ROCK!
16X24 syrup shack

Last edited by lpakiz; December 8th, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old December 8th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

Larry I like the idea of reversing That would make over fills a snap to fix. I wanted the wheels to keep it off the ground and out of the way. I plan on a sheet metal box to cover it so I can hose down the area and not worry about the motor. When my shack was built we had switched outlets installed so I didn't do any switching at the motor. I might change that because not all outlets are switched and I hate unplugging equipment as a poor mans switch.
Old December 8th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 126 Times

Here is part of the set up. Main switch is in the elec box. Reversing switch is hanging out of the motor for now. This device worked so good I am going to clean up the build, try to mount both switches in the same or bigger box. If I could, I would get a triple throw/center off switch to do both functions.
A friend has a worn out Oberdorfer that I think will work for this, as very little pressure is needed and with cold syrup, pump clearances are not so critical.
Attached Thumbnails
Syrup transfer pump-image.jpg  

2X10 Intensofire clone
16X24 syrup shack
Old December 8th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

I have seen your work Larry I know you can do better.........Lets get that cleaned up on a frame and PLEASE get that belt tightened. Why the relief valve and where does it go?
Old December 8th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 126 Times

Yeah, let's call it a "prototype", to save face.
No relief valve, just a left-over pressure gauge.
I do leave the belt loose to keep it from taking a "set" while it sits all winter.
I have an outboard (added on) bearing to keep side pressure off the pump shaft. Small matter to turn the reverse turnbuckle tighter.
Attached Thumbnails
Syrup transfer pump-image.jpg  

2X10 Intensofire clone
16X24 syrup shack