Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old November 11th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 475
Photos: 1
Thanked 48 Times
  View my photos  
Default French Press style Filter?

Been kicking this around, thinking about it for a week or so. Has anybody tried to use a French press style filter for syrup? Biggest I could find was only 48 to 50 ounces, but a home built one using a 5 gallon SS pot, lid fabricated plunger,etc...with a felt/orlon filter and paper prefilter sounds like it may work.
Don't know, but I'll probably try an adapted coffee French press first (with maple filters), and then go bigger if it works. I just like the idea of bringing unfiltered syrup to 180-190 in a SS pot, then filter it in the same pot, without using any other power than pressing down. Again, don't know if it would work, or has been tried and discarded already!
Sorry if there's a thread somewhere about this already, but I didn't find it if there is.
take care, Mark
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Pretty novel idea maplemark753. I've seen vacuum used to pull syrup through a filter but not a press style set up like a French press. Only disadvantage I can think of if it works is that you will need to work with consistent batch sizes because each filter process will be a one time deal until cleaned out.

- Bryan
Old November 11th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Maplemark Im all for trying the impossible so bare with us when we come up with all the reasons it wont work and along the way why it might work. Coffee presses still allow a small very fine amount of sediment through. The small amount of sediment at the bottom of a jar of syrup will show up where it wont in coffee. Making a plunger that would fit in a stock pot on your stove would be a challenge and if it tipped to the side during the pressing operation it could be a painful mess. I say get a ringer off a old washing machine and fill a cone filter with hot syrup and squeeze it out just go slow.
Old November 11th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1000
Thanked 37 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
Maplemark Im all for trying the impossible so bare with us when we come up with all the reasons it wont work and along the way why it might work. Coffee presses still allow a small very fine amount of sediment through. The small amount of sediment at the bottom of a jar of syrup will show up where it wont in coffee. Making a plunger that would fit in a stock pot on your stove would be a challenge and if it tipped to the side during the pressing operation it could be a painful mess. I say get a ringer off a old washing machine and fill a cone filter with hot syrup and squeeze it out just go slow.
Not sure chuck, but I think your method would create alot of sediment too if rolled through to far, cause the bottom of cone fillter is where the seddiment rest. -just thinking
Old November 11th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Okay Mark... you're going to have to try it I guess. Be sure to get a few photos in the process and let us know what worked well and what not so much. Cool idea.
Old November 11th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

Maplemark I like the idea and when I clean the coffee maker I look at the metal screen and think how cool it would be for filtering syrup its just so small. Go on Ebay and look up coffee presses and check out the filters and try commercial coffee makers for after market filters.
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 475
Photos: 1
Thanked 48 Times
  View my photos  

Yeah, I will probably visit a couple of thrift shops locally here and between that and ebay/online, pick up a couple larger regular French presses to practice on and see if I can get them to work on syrup with syrup filters. I've got an extra 5 gal SS pot and lid, so if the small works I'll try transferring it to the larger pot. So, we'll see, but it'll be fun trying! Coupla neighbors weld and fabricate, so I should be able to get some help with the big plunger assembly if it gets that far. Today just finishing putting in the last 75 of the 175 fall taps we're trying this year...
take care
Mark
Old November 13th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 124 Times

It seems like you would run into the same problem as when we used the cone filters. They plug up after a small amount of syrup went through. The only difference I can see is that instead of gravity pulling syrup down, you will be using your weight to push it up through the filter.

I don't know how you'd engineer the lip seal so it would always seal . A pot that big will probably grow 1/8 of an inch from cold to hot. If it lost the seal during the down stroke you could be scalded.
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times

Wouldnt forcing syrup through a conventional filter also force the niter through due to the porous materials they are made out of? Not sure if the SIRO filter cloth is a finer micron, I would have to think so maybe test those filter cloths out as well. The siro forces the syrup through those.
Old November 14th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

What happens if you mix in DE before using a cone filter?