Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old August 20th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 90
Thanked 22 Times

Default Blower for AOF

I have being reading through the threads and have seen mention of some using forge blowers for I believe AOF. I have picked up a champion #400 and was wondering if this was suitable if driven properly. Thanks for any input, I love this site and am currently building my first real arch.
Robert
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Robert using that type of blower is what there are intended for. Now when it comes to regulating the blower output I recommend a blast gate. I have seen to many motors fluctuate when a rheostat is used. Running the motor at its peak performance and then restricting the air flow will give you a constant air flow making it easier to keep your fire at its peak performance.

Plus one more benefit to a blast gate is it instant and when it comes to adding wood you don't want to turn the blower off and wait till its done spinning.
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:35 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 90
Thanked 22 Times

Default Thank you

That makes sense, because the blower does coast for a while when you stop turning. I could pulley it to a motor reducing the speed to that of normal hand turn. Should I be concerned about heat to the bearings over long periods?
Thank you for the info much appreciated.
Robert
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:00 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

No let it run. There is a difference when you restrict the flow of a blower verses a water pump. if you were to shut the exhaust completely off it would still spin at a high RPM blower. Most blowers for Forges are direct drive. Different settings for different needs. Your will wood by size, moisture and species so it will be beneficial to adjust the gate settings to get the most out of you wood. Keep it simple remember in a average day you will open and close the doors to fire and you don't to add to that time by fiddling with a rheostat.