Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old June 29th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default 3x12 build/The Kracken

Well since it does nothing but rain in NY The 3x12 build has begun. In the end it will be an 8 foot drop flue pan with 3 16 inch cross flow pans with an extra one to swap out on those heavy niter days. Flues are 22 gauge and 20 gauge sides in mirror finish. I have teamed up with our local Amish metal shop who has built many pans but only soldered. Being able to tig weld and having the equipment to do it we decided that the Amish will do the bending and cutting and I will do the tig welding. Two outside flue sections are bent and I started welding them today to close up the ends. This is going to be fun, and a great learning experience. Great way to save me a lot of money and take some pride in building my own. IF you guys would like to see the progress as it goes on let me know and I will update this thread as things progress. First up is one section of end caps welded on and another section waiting till tomarrow to get done. I can not take pictures of the bending and cutting as its not allowed with there religious beliefs. A great group of guys to work with and always more laughs at that shop than I can handle in one day.
Attached Thumbnails
3x12 build/The Kracken-img_20130629_000140.jpg  
Old June 29th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 9000
Thanked 90 Times
Cube Crash Champion  

Does this mean Jim will have some Eastern Competition?
Old June 29th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 984
Photos: 31
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

Yes keep us updated.
Old June 29th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Manufacturer

Thanked 961 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson's Tree Farm View Post
Does this mean Jim will have some Eastern Competition?
Have you seen all the work I have to do before next spring?
I also have the arch to build as well. The kids have given a name to the thing already and probably is there biggest contribution to helping with maple ever sad I know. They dubbed it The Kracken. LMAO

Last edited by 3rdgen.maple; June 29th, 2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old June 29th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times

3rdgen Send the Amish guys out for some beer and when their out the door snap a few pictures Seeing how much work Jim puts into tooling when he is welding what is your game plan?
Old June 29th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Manufacturer

Thanked 961 Times

With all the machinery and access to it tooling is available. The biggest thing about tig,is fit up. The better that is the easier the welding. Hardest thing I believe is containing back gas to stop the sugaring. There are many mny ways to achieve that just depends on how elaborate of a setup you want for that process. I seen guys back gas with duct tape and guys with machined blocks of aluminum.
Old June 30th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times

There is a 3rd option they make a tape that you can buy that you stick on the back side that makes its own gas and cuts down on the sugaring. When I was at Jim's and he made me a simple draw off box he had me making tooling for about an hour....Yikes I cant imagine a complete set of pans. Then comes the polishing stage.
Old June 30th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Manufacturer

Thanked 961 Times

I seen that tape at the welding supply shop and asked about it, the guy said not to use it for the food industry. Wonder if its the same stuff. There also is a type of reusable playdough that works for damning and back gassing. Lots of ways out there just got to research and ask questions.
Old July 1st, 2013, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 900
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Thanked 210 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Interesting 3rdgen . I admire your drive as I'm sure making these pans is no cake walk or else everybody would do it. Btw, our buddy Xak has been doing some fabrication of his own recently. You seen any pics of his work? It will put a "smile" on a women's face! :what:
The Following User Says Thank You to wishlist For This Post:
3rdgen.maple (July 10th, 2013)
Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:02 AM
Manufacturer

Thanked 961 Times

Thanks for the kind words Wishlist. Xak says its not my drive its my stupidity for taking on so much at once that he admires . The equipment cost to do this would not make it feasible nor practical for people to attempt for a one time build. Lucky for me I lucked out with a new friendship were we can help each other out that has the equipment I dont and I seem to have what he doesnt or rather cant use. Anyways Those two sections of flues are all done, leak tested and Im ready to pick up the other flue sections, once they are done they will get married together. I really am enjoying this and being able to design some features I really like into the build is a bonus. I will follow up on those as the build moves forward. I also have another pan build right after this one to help us in the sugarhouse but that will come later! Stay tuned.