Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old May 1st, 2013, 04:24 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default Latching solenoids for releaser's

Redoing sprinkler systems for some properties. I'm always thinking about what can I do with this little part or valve. WELL the systems have 24 volt battery controllers with LATCHING solenoids. A latching solenoid is one that only requires a small millisecond of power to activate. The solenoid could stay open or closed for an indefinite duration without using power. So can a releaser be made with float switches and latching solenoids that open and close the vacuum and dump the sap at a remote releaser with just a vacuum line????
Old May 1st, 2013, 04:56 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 18 Times

I want some pictures when you mak one I am thinking you would need what at least two valves?
Old May 1st, 2013, 05:13 PM
Producer

Thanked 18 Times

Those may work for just a small releaser a couple of those and a couple of float switches mounted opposite of each other an I think that it would run a while on one of those rechargeable 6 volt batteries talk about cheap.
Old May 1st, 2013, 06:16 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times

They sure can Haynes but one has to be up there in pounds of pull to break the vac seal. My latest milk can releaser build was done using a solenoid system on a 110 circuit. It ran extremely well. The coolest part is you do not need a float big enough to overcome the vac as on a mechanical one. All that is required is a float and rod to trip a pressure switch and adjustable to reset it when the float drops again. When thepressure switch trips it sends power to the solenoid and itpulls open the flapper to allow it to drain. Very simple and effective releaser setup.
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:02 PM
Producer

Thanked 18 Times

Hey 3rd where is the thread you promised about your homemade milk can releaser we are going nuts trying to come up with one and here you are bragging about yours but you ain't sharin....
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:15 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times

Just like to see you guys sweat lol. Honestly seems like there is never enough time to get a build put together. The mechanical one is a bit detailed on measurements and just never felt comfortable putting the thread up if someones build went wrong. A few members have stopped by to see them though. Not until I was working on a printing press and its vac system did the idea like Haynes has hit me. It hada burnt out solenoid that opened vac relief valve. Went home and copied the setup of sorts. This one Im comfortable sharing a build on. Its just time consuming and not a lot of that available right now. I will get one going soon.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:02 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

If you look up beer keg releaser on youtube you will see my first attempt at a releaser. Now I believe with the cheaper latching solenoids it can be done without the switching and expensive relay. I'm thinking that you will need a valve to shut off vacuum one to open tank to atmosphere for it to dump one to shut off the sap mainline so you don't get suck back. You would also need 2 float switches for high and low levels. A simple food grade sump pump flapper valve will do the trick for the dump valve. You would also need a sizable vacuum reserve tank to maintain the vacuum in the woods for the time that the tank dumps. The tank could be mounted higher than the releaser tank so as the vacuum in the reserve tank sucks on the trees and sap enters the tank during the dump once vacuum is restored to the mainlines it would evacuate the sap from the reserve tank.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 210
Thanked 126 Times

Chuck,
I don't think you need the third solenoid you mentioned--the one to prevent suck-back. My Bender just utilizes a check valve, which you have already mentioned. The reservoir is also a good idea, to maintain a higher level of vacuum longer, while the dump takes place.
Does anyone know if power is internally disconnected from the coil once the switching takes place? Or does the designer have to figure out a way to disconnect power to prevent battery discharge?
The FULL float would have to switch both solenoids simultanously-- that is, shut off the vacuum with one and vent to atmospher with the second. Once vacuum is dissipated, the dump check valve/flapper valve would relax and allow the dump.
Upon energizing the opposite way (lower float does its thing), the chamber will be closed off from atmosphere, vacuum will be re-introduced to the chamber, pulling the flapper/check valve closed. Sounds workable to me if the latching solenoid will not draw power after its activation.

210 vacuum taps plus the neighbors
2X10 Intensofire clone
Smoky Lake pans that ROCK!
16X24 syrup shack
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:07 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

Larry I agree on the check valve. That would be located between the releaser and reserve vacuum tank/collector. Interesting thought on the possibility of the power being on. I will read more there are explanations on the net when you look up latching solenoids. I was wondering about a simple flip switch relay that would work like a 3 way set up in your house to switch back and forth when energized...................... THIS IS HOW IT STARTS. a little extra money and then I call Grainger and the UPS guys starts stopping
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:10 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

Anyone know of a switch/relay that when pulsed with power it opens and stays open and then closes when pulsed and stays closed. Funny thing is its a latching switch