Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:30 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 100
Thanked 0 Times

Default continuous flow pan

I am making an oil tank evaporator,is it possible to make a continuous flow pan? if it is possible how?
Old February 23rd, 2013, 07:31 PM
Producer

Photos: 8
Thanked 59 Times
  View my photos  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken123 View Post
I am making an oil tank evaporator,is it possible to make a continuous flow pan? if it is possible how?
Yes - I have one My Son and Grandson built for me resting on top of a 250 gallon upright fuel oil tank which is my arch. You have no questions about the F.O. tank arch so I'll Yak about the pan. When we brainstormed on this - our knowledge was limited on Continuous flow pans and if we would do it again we would do it a bit different. However - I'll tell you about what I have and it does work a lot better then a batch pan of the same size.
It was built as one large pan - out of steel - and is 2 ft. wide by 5 ft. long and the sides are 5 inches high. From the stack end we went up 2 ft and welded in a side to side divider. Now our pan has two sections the 2'x2' near the stack is the sap pan. and the 2'x3' near the fuel door is the syrup pan. in the sap pan we welded in one divider and now the sap pan has two sections 12 in. x 24 in. In the syrup pan we welded in two dividers and the syrup pan has three sections 8 in x 36 in. each. So now we have to make some openings for the sap to flow through on its way to becoming syrup. At the back of the sap pan - in the divider - we made a 1 in. x 1 in. opening connecting the sap sections. Now in the center section (on the left side facing the fuel door of the arch) We made another opening joining the last sap section with the first syrup section (here we have an isolation plug we can insert). at the front of the syrup pan we make another hole between the first syrup section and the second syrup section and toward the center divider we make another hole between the second syrup section and the last syrup section (here we have a second isolation plug) Wow! I should have printed a picture instead. Ok - Now all the sections are inter-connected. I'm assuming You understand the basics of how a continuous flow works - even one this basic - so I won't bore You with that. Simply put - Sap goes in the first sap section and comes out as near syrup from the draw off valve at the last syrup section. ----This is just to give you an idea of the basic layout. Since this little rig was built - One of the members explained to me that in a flat bottomed rig - the Sap pan should be at least as big as the syrup pan. So I'm still learning. But this does work and I'm happy with it. So much more then this to it ----but - I'll stop here - You should have a rough idea. Hope I helped a little. Any more questions I'll try and help. -----Mike-----
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ausable For This Helpful Post:
chicken123 (February 23rd, 2013), NorthJerseyMaple (April 2nd, 2013)
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:08 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Thanks! I think I'll try and make one. Do you have any pictures?
Old February 24th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Producer

Thanked 59 Times
  View my photos  

Quote:
Yes I do. - This morning I made my first attempt at downloading 5 pictures of my Arch and evaporator. Thought I had - But - I don't have a clue where they are hiding on this Site as I cannot find them. Downloaded the under Home Built Equipment or thought I had - I have much to learn. LOL ---Mike---
Old February 24th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Producer

Thanked 59 Times
  View my photos  

Quote:
Gosh! I scared myself. I actually was able to upload a picture a few minutes ago - of doing a boil in my homemade pans. Look out - lol - I'm almost dangerous. ----Mike----
Old February 24th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

LoL! What thickness of stainless steel should i use?
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Producer

Thanked 59 Times
  View my photos  

I used a rather heavy gauge sheet steel - because that is what we had. I think some of the other Guys or Gals that have used Stainless could answer that better then I could. Mine works ok - but - a lighter gauge would give a better heat transfer. LOL - My Son is the machinist and fabricator and my Grandson is the Welder and I ----LOL----am the Old Guy and sap boiler. ----Mike----
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:06 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 70
Thanked 4 Times

Default Ausable, mild steel pans

Hey Mike, Great description of your continuous flow pan. You mentioned that you would do things different if you were to do it over again. How would you change your design? I also used mild steel (16 gage) for my pans, works very good. It's just a batch pan but I have dividers to put in for next year.I made about 7 gals. my first year with 20 taps. Looking forward to next season.
Wayne
Old April 20th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

would I be able to achieve continous flow on a 2x3?
Old April 20th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Quote:
would I be able to achieve continous flow on a 2x3?
Sure. Leader's "half pint" evaporator is set up that way and it looks like I'll have a 2x3 pan for sale shortly.