Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 10th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Default Latitude or Longitude?

Good morning all...

I'm in the final stages of my new evaporator build. I hope to be posting some additional pics soon of the completed arch and pan... its a custom 2x5 unit with a 2x3 main pan

But here is my question... evry pan I have see has the dividers running from front to rear of the pan...

Is there a reason why the dividers could not be run across the pan instead?

Why would you want to do this you may ask... well I have enough scrap stainless to make the 24'' runs across the pan but not enough for the full 3' run on the front to back dimension...

I could probably weld pieces together for a three foot long divider but that would look bad in my opinion...

Can you shed some light on this for me...

Thanks Tim
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:17 AM
UVM Proctor Maple Res Ctr
Researcher

Number of Taps: 4,950
Thanked 688 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehiwayman View Post
But here is my question... evry pan I have see has the dividers running from front to rear of the pan...

Is there a reason why the dividers could not be run across the pan instead?
There are both reverse-flow pans (sap runs front-to-back or BF) and cross-flow (sap runs left-to-right or R-L). In reverse-flow pans, you switch sides to reduce niter build-up, and normally alternate the draw-off position from side-to-side. In cross-flow pans, you always draw-off from the same side, and deal with niter in the syrup pan closest to the draw-off by having multiple (2-3) front pans, removing the front-most pan when it niters up, moving the 2nd front pan forward to the draw-off location, and putting a new pan in behind it in the #2 front pan location. So typically you have one spare front pan either nitered up, or in the process of being cleaned. The style of pan (reverse-flow) or cross-flow is up to you. If you build a pan with the dividers from side-to-side, you'll never be able to switch sides, but your draw-off would always be in the same spot (near the front on one side or the other), but you would have no good way to remove the niter during a boil. You might also have problems maintaining a good boil in the front-most pan (closest to the doors) depending on your design and heat distribution in the arch.
Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Ok so it will work I had thought of the reversing flow issue but I can add another draw off and rotate the pan with each boil...

Thanks for the explanation...

On a completely different note I put out 45 taps today and it felt Sooogood to be out in the sun! I actually got a little sun burn...after 29 inches of snow yesterday it was a challenge to get to my trees...I love this time of year...

might be a tad early but the trees were running like a....a... well, I wont use my favorite analogy to describe the flow characteristics

thanks for the info