Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:39 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 500
Thanked 2 Times

Default 2" pvc bag holders

Haynes forest products, I don't have any pics of them but I cut them at 5". You can get 24 of them in a 10foot chunk of pvc. I put a 1/4 inch dado blade in the table saw and cut a groove 3/4 inch from the bottom all the way around. Then drill hole the size for your tap 1inch from the top. I have had these bags running over and not pull off the pvc.
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:55 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky bob View Post
Haynes forest products, I don't have any pics of them but I cut them at 5". You can get 24 of them in a 10foot chunk of pvc. I put a 1/4 inch dado blade in the table saw and cut a groove 3/4 inch from the bottom all the way around. Then drill hole the size for your tap 1inch from the top. I have had these bags running over and not pull off the pvc.
Do you cover/cap the top ?
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:01 PM
Producer

Thanked 2 Times

Default 2" pvc bag holders

I haven't yet , but I am thinking on doing it this year. You get very little rain or snow in the two inch openings. On a bad rain I may have to dump thirty or forty bags.
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member
Researcher

Classified Ads: 1
Photos: 2
Thanked 99 Times

I did mine pretty much the same way. I had almost 800 last year and will have alot more this year. No need to cover them. If you figure an inch of rain going through a 2" hole i think it works out to a teaspoon. So with 1000 sacks and 1" of rain that would add up to about 1 gallon of extra water total. I can handle that. They work great for me since i cant tube my woods.
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:05 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 200
Thanked 5 Times

Another method is to cut the 2 inch tubing in 3-4 inch lengths, cut a coupling in 1/2 inch lengths and glue it on the end of the tubing pieces. Plastic wire ties hold the bag on well.
Tap sized hole near one end with a larger hole under and joining it helps you get the holder on the tap.

I use a dry wall router to cut the holes in mine.

What's the best source for bags, that you folks know?
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member
Researcher

Classified Ads: 1
Photos: 2
Thanked 99 Times

There are no better places than a maple supplier. My wife's company was Roth's old distributor and she couldn't get me bags any cheaper unless I bought 10000.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:48 AM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 1500
Thanked 46 Times

Default PVC Holders

I'm sure some the 'food grade police" will jump on me, but, I've made a few of these to try out and I used the plastic cover off a can of spray paint on the top of the PVC, to keep the little birds from sitting on the top lip of the holder and leaving a little "treat" in the bag before flying off.
The spray paint can covers were all new, the spray paint cans had never been used (sprayed). The sap doesn't touch these covers. The covers fit just about right, on the PVC, to keep out all that stuff we sometimes find in the bags.

Can you tell I still feel a little guilty ?
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:55 AM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobU View Post
I'm sure some the 'food grade police" will jump on me, but, I've made a few of these to try out and I used the plastic cover off a can of spray paint on the top of the PVC, to keep the little birds from sitting on the top lip of the holder and leaving a little "treat" in the bag before flying off.
The spray paint can covers were all new, the spray paint cans had never been used (sprayed). The sap doesn't touch these covers. The covers fit just about right, on the PVC, to keep out all that stuff we sometimes find in the bags.

Can you tell I still feel a little guilty ?
Funny how we sugarmakers think! I understand what you are indeed saying, although there is no sap contact and it aides in keeping other not so desirables out of the sap you shouldnt feel guilty in my opinion.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:26 PM
Spammer!

Thanked 2 Times

I am making some now out of 3" corrugated drain tile this way you don't have to cut a groove or glue a coupling just drill a hole then slot it
Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:23 PM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Producer

Number of Taps: 700
Classified Ads: 4
Photos: 44
Thanked 98 Times

Hey Kngowods ,so your the guy in the Southern Comfort camercial