Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old November 27th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default AOF

I get a day off and see what happens, I work all day for no pay instead. I got rather bored and started ripping things apart, cutting things up, and welding things together. Started on one side of the arch and have the manifold for that side done. Will start on the other tomarrow. Fix up the blanket and redo the bricks around it. Have to weld up a cross over section to attach to my high pressure blower. Was a fun day. Quiet and no one bothering me.
Attached Thumbnails
AOF-img_20121127_161724.jpg   AOF-img_20121127_162819.jpg   AOF-img_20121127_193230.jpg   AOF-img_20121127_193745.jpg  
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 200
Thanked 44 Times

Looking good!
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Manufacturer

Thanked 961 Times

I think Im over nozzled. But better to many than not enough as I can weld them close if need be. I also plan to cover it in blanket for protection.
By the way if any one is looking for good prices on metal Check out Kline. They sell overstock and blemish metal by the pound. That piece of overstock 1 1/2"x 3 1/2"x 12' was .70 a pound. Its thick at 3/16 but couldnt beat the price. Im also a tad unimpressed with how arch board just crumbles when you remove the bricks. Might end up redoing the arch in blanket since Im this involved with the project, that is if I dont run out of time.
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 44 Times

That was my first impression. Too many and too big a diameter and you wont get high velocity. What blower are you going to use? and what diameter are the nozzles?
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Manufacturer

Thanked 961 Times

I have a good size high pressure blower, those nozzles are 1/2 o.d. I dont want them any smaller for a few reasons based on a proven arch design that I got the diameter from and can downsize easier than redoing it if they are too small. I do think there is too many nozzles and will experiment with those when I get a fire going after its done. I might end up pinching some closed a little as well too once I get that far or I also have smaller rod that will slip in them and can weld them in place. I think I would rather go a little over board and have a plan to work from there than be not enough and have to tear it out and start over. The particular arch I looked at was an original and it had alot of nozzles as well but the designer welded solid rod in the ones that were overkill. It will be fun to play around with anyhow.
Old November 28th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times

I would pinch them down to give a fan spray pattern. I would think that having more but smaller is the ticket.
Old November 28th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Manufacturer

Thanked 961 Times

What do you think, pinch them at different angles to get a swirl going in the arch? I might just do that now. Be cool if I could suck smoke through the blower and see what the air is doing, anybody got specs for an evaproator wind tunnel build .
Old November 28th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 210
Thanked 126 Times

3rd gen,
I would think carefully before squeezing those nozzles. My idea of AOF is FOCUSED jets of air. Small and high velocity, like a laser beam. Squeezing them oval will act like a cutting torch tip that is partially plugged--not a focused jet but rather a "spray" effect. I think you want that jet of air to penetrate the flames.
You are right to put too many and too big for now and bush them down or plug them later. I like the idea of reducing the diameter if they are too big--an amatuer machinist could make you bushings with a taper so you can tap them into the oversize nozzles right from inside the arch. Same for any you want to plug.
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Manufacturer

Thanked 961 Times

Its gonna stay just like it is for the time being. I cant help but think AOF is way over thought, after all we are just trying to force more air in the firebox. Personal opinion is theres less to it than the big guys really want to admit and makes some great marketing strategies. Could be wrong but plenty of time to play around with it in spring when boiling. Anyhow got most of it done. Ran out of refactory cement.
Attached Thumbnails
AOF-img_20121128_193105.jpg   AOF-img_20121128_193056.jpg   AOF-img_20121128_193313.jpg  
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 44 Times

It really isn't as simple as it seems. I tried one just by guessing and it didn't help at all. To work well, it really needs a good balance of air volume and velocity. The right volume without velocity doesn't mix well ( my first attempt). Too much volume cools off the fire.

Get it right, and it really helps. I figured it out by matching the characteristics of the blower to the nozzle size and number so that almost the full static pressure of the blower is dropped through the nozzles, with 100CFM flow at an exit velocity of 80 mph. This works great on my 2x6.