Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old October 20th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Default New arch design help

Good morning all...

My name is Tim and I'm new here...I didn't see any introduction thread so I'll just do that here... I'm a back yarder or at least I was and most likely will always be to some extent...

We live in Lebanon Maine and have been sugaring for four years now...I really enjoy the chance to do something fun after a long winter... I dont sell my syrup I've always just given it away and will continue to do so...

I am eagerly looking forward to this spring as I wont be outside in the rain or weather on my old oil tank evaporator, but in my new Sugar House that my boys and I have been building all year...

Ive put in a few pics in the thumb nails to show the progression...

So I'll stop rambling and get to my question...

My new arch is built of 1/4 inch plate steel so it will hopefully be making surup at the hands of my grand children long after I'm gone...

If you look at the profile I cut the ramp starting at 12" on a 28'' overall height firebox...

After reading some of the great info here I think I made a mistake... is that high ramp going to waste heat by not allowing it to run along the pans before leaving the flue?

In the Picture with the tape measure you can see my pencil line at 8'' its not to late for me to recut the ramp to a much shorter dimesion...

Should it have any angle to it at all or taper slightly? I went purley on the "look" of it for my first profile cut...also thinking that some slightly longer wood could be stacked higer up with that design...

Just a note...This arch will be fire bricked as well... I didn't build it out of 1/4'' plate thinking I didn't have to Firebrick it. Just sayin...

I've got several more questions and what I think will be good ideas on this arch but I'm gonna ask one at a time cause I know these long posts can get muddled...and boring;- sorry bout that...

Best regards, Thehiwayman (akaTim)

Oh ya the nut job on the banjo is yours truly and the little evaporator is one I made for a friend after he told me he spent 50 dollars in propane and three weeks to boil down 40 gallons of sap on a Turkey fryer
Attached Thumbnails
New arch design help-img_0005.jpg   New arch design help-img_0001-2-.jpg   New arch design help-img_0001.jpg   New arch design help-100_0522.jpg   New arch design help-boiling-day-040.jpg  

Old October 20th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Hey there Tim and welcome to the site.

With your design you will have lots of room for drop flues but if you're running flat pans you will likely want to build up with some vermiculite with dry fit half bricks on top to keep it in place. Another option if you can't get the front pan to boil hard enough would be to bring the brick on the back wall of the firebox up past the ramp so hot air has to go up and over it right next to your pan. Generally speaking the space under your pans should be pretty close to the area of your stack size. First test boil will tell you exactly where to start. If it boils hard leave that area alone and focus on where it doesn't.
Old October 20th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Indeed welcome. Im with Bryan on this. I would leave the arch as is and fill the gap up a bit with brick,blanket,vermiculite etc. That way if you were to upgrade to something like one of Smoky lakes drop flue all in one pan or his new hybrid hobby pan in the classified you have the room on the arch for the expansion. Enjoy the site rig looks pretty heavy duty and should last a dozen generation I think.
Old October 20th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 200
Thanked 0 Times

So if they ever decide to make a swamp people equivalent for sugar makers, you have my vote!
Old October 20th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandirector View Post
So if they ever decide to make a swamp people equivalent for sugar makers, you have my vote!
Errr ok...thanks I think.

So I could build up the ramp with more brick or blanket...I think I may split the difference and shrink it up a bit before I cut and weld the back panel on...

That rule of thumb Bryan ex offered is what I was looking for. I can still shrink the dimesion by a few inches and have a 8'' height
Old October 20th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 620
Thanked 150 Times

Nice arch! Yea should be good for several lifetimes. Looks like a good design that should allow you to do modifications as you grow. I like the picture with the banjo. Good luck making syrup and keep the boys involved.
Regards,
Chris
Old October 21st, 2012, 09:03 AM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Thanks for the input on that I have a clear direction now... I will be cutting that overal height down a bit, but still keeping in mind the possible future of a drop flue pan and a full 2" brick lining...

Ok as I said a have a few questions on this build...

My last outside oil tank evaporator I used a variable speed leaf blower that was attached to a 2" section of black iron pipe inserted into a hole at the back of the fire box...It worked awesome and at times had the thin metal of the old tank orange! I'm not gonna be so "Red Green" about this set up and want some inovation to the design of my new arch...

Here is my thought... I want to build the wood grate out of 1" black iron pipe utilizing tees and 90's to make a manifold... I then plan on drilling holes along the runs of black iron evry inch or so...

In the middle of the manifold I will have an air inlet tee piped to the outside of the arch for an air supply inlet...

this will supply air directly to the underside of the wood pile evenly and I may even be able to drill the holes at say 1 oclock position tward the front of the arch... what I want to avoid it sparks and embers shooting out the front door when stoking!

so this might seem way over complicated but I'm a heating guy and have the abilty to cut and thread black Iron...

Has this been done before and do you see any problems with this Idea?

Here are a few more pics of the sugar shack build...I'm not trying to brag by showing these pics but I have to admit I am pretty proud of myself and my boys... I AM NOT a builer or timberframer by any stretch i'm a burner man... my neigbhor loaned me his mill gave me a rough education on running it and I never saw him again...

I cant wait for SPRING!

I'm keeping the new vs old theme by showing a pic of the old way at the end of the day
Attached Thumbnails
New arch design help-img_1007.jpg   New arch design help-sugarshack.jpg   New arch design help-img_0001-3-.jpg   New arch design help-img_0003-2-.jpg   New arch design help-boiling-day-055.jpg  

Old October 21st, 2012, 10:10 AM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Producer

Number of Taps: 700
Classified Ads: 4
Photos: 44
Thanked 98 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Hey Hiwayman shanty looks good,you may not want to put that recliner in it. Many a pan have been scorched with such a comfortable chair.