Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old November 20th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default Homebuilt vacuum system

I finally got tired of all the parts sitting around the garage and storage so I built this vacuum rig. I started with the tank from a upright compressor stripped the unit and reconfigured the wheels. I mounted a Gast drip oil vane pump I removed all the oiler equipment. The exhaust air is plumbed into the tank for air oil separation. The tank has about 6 gallons of 10-30 wht for the flood oil system. I installed a Hydraulic oil filter to catch the rust from the tank. The oil gets sucked out of the storage tank through the filter and oil cooler. Oil enters the vacuum pump cool clean and ready to keep the vacuum pump cool. I ran the unit for about 2 hours and the exhaust temps were about 120 degrees and the pump was warm and touchable. I flood the intake and bearings with a steady stream of oil. The exhaust air from the tank exits through a Gast glass reclaimer jar. So far I cant detect much oil entering the jar. Now as far as Vacuum levels I checked it with a new guage and at 6500 ft above sea level I'm getting 18 HGs. The pump is a junkyard find so I have no idea what shape it's in or what its capable of. I plan on running it for a few more hours and see it the vac levels increase if not Ill inspect the vanes and see if they need work.
Attached Thumbnails
Homebuilt vacuum system-024.jpg   Homebuilt vacuum system-030.jpg   Homebuilt vacuum system-025.jpg  

Last edited by Haynes Forest Products; November 20th, 2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
Banned
Producer

Photos: 25
Thanked 37 Times
  View my photos  

Nice looking rig Haynes. Are you going to put it into service this spring? Or are you going to let someone else run it?

I'm glad you learned how to post pictures on here. Now I know I have three too few 4" angle grinders.
Old November 24th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

I dont know if Ill use it. I have another Gast pump like to one Im using now. I would rather stick with the same type. I just might sell it. Might see what I can trade for it at Roth. I got tired of changing disks and grinding wheels so thats why so many. There getting used on your next project.
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 222
Journals: 7
Photos: 7
Thanked 117 Times

So we now know that an air compressor tank will hold up to atleast 18" of vac!

Haynes did you put in any kind of regulator for the oil feed lines going to the pump head? Or did you just let it suck what oil it wants to suck?

Nice build though.
2 Membrane Homemade RO
Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook
Old November 30th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

I don't think you would implode that small of a tank. But you never know until you try. Ill pull up my thread on imploding vacuum tanks. As far as the oil to the pump look at the top view picture and you will see 2 black handled valves one regulate the total amount of oil to the pump intake and the other regulates the oil to the bearings. No real science on why I did it that way I just regulate less oil to the bearings than the flood intake. I'm still hoping 3rdgen has some specs on the pump. If its only going to do around 20HGs I might sell it and put the money into another project. I wouldn't regulate the air coming into the pump. The pump will run fine without added intake air. In a normal vacuum system in the bush you will get plenty from the trees and leaks............WHAT LEAKS yea we all have them.
Old November 30th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 117 Times

See now, I thought those black handles were for mounting.

I agree that the smaller the tank the stronger it will be. I don't think there should be any trouble with it. My little BB2 has a small tank that is about 5-6 gal under it. Not much different than my samll portable air tank that I have.

Dang you Haynes it's not like I have nothing to do now I am thinking about making a vac setup again! I was working on one after I saw your old monster vac setup and then decided it could wait, not again!!
I still want to use a auto radiator as an exhaust cooler. Try and cool the vac exhaust as much as possible before the oil tank so as little as possible oil is blown out.
2 Membrane Homemade RO
Old November 30th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times

Dennis I have to ask why you want to cool the exhaust? The more you restrict exhaust the hotter the pump. Besides the exhaust serves no useful purpose other than expelling air from the pump. Im confused.
Old November 30th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times

Haynes do you have a picture of just the pump? It will help me in my search for you.
Old November 30th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 117 Times

As the pump runs hot I want to use oil to cool and get better vac, Flood the pump.

But as the pump gets hot and hotter the oil will atomize and if you don't cool the exhaust the oil will stay suspended and just get blown the exhaust.

Now if you cool the exhaust the oil should come out of suspension. I want to us the drain pepcock on the radiator as an oil drain. I am now thinking to do as Haynes did with his cooler but exchange a car radiator for his. The oulet of the radiator along with a hose from the pepcock valve will allow the oil to drain into the oil tank the pump is sitting on.
I don't think will will be much resitriction with a radiator. Have you seen the inlets and outlets to some of them, heck my mustang has about 1 1/2" inlet and outlet. The larger the radiator and the more rows it has the more volume of air move it will have.

I would also have a tranny cooler on the oil lines that feed the pump.

This is my very unscientific look at it though, I can have been known to be wrong. That is why the recycle center loves seeing me show up.
2 Membrane Homemade RO
Old November 30th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

3rdgen I will get a picture and look for any id's.

Now this is my take on using a flood system on vane pumps. First restricting the exhaust air is not a good thing....BUT is necessary in a very minute way to reclaim the oil. Even the exhaust filters that come on the Gast vane pumps restrict the air slightly. I also think that slowing the oil laden air down in a vessel with many channels and surfaces helps keep oil from exiting the "reclaimer". Having the exit port the same size or bigger will assure that there is no back pressure.
Producer in my area has a big dripper on a vane pump and he pulls OK vacuum using a vacuum regulator without a reclaimer and he has a 10' circle of oil over the ground and when I showed him the slight oil sheen in his tank he changed thing.s
Dennis I think your on the right track with the radiator get the high heat radiator hose for you pump to radiator coupling. Having a large oil reservoir helps with the cooling.