Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old August 19th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default Off season home builds

Well it has been a hot summer with a lot of new equipment builds. I haven't had time to get to the maple projects YET. I have built a ATV pull behind mower, made a trail groomer for walking paths, completely rebuilt my dump trailer from the ground up and the garage is full of a pop up camper I'm changing out from a wobbly pavement scrapper to a raised up toy hauler.
I cant be the only one that has spent 1/2 the summer making things. How about a few pictures of what you have going on. I still have a vacuum pump I need a motor for and then build roll cages for it and sap pump. I'm tired of trying to screw down or ratchet strap down equipment to trailers by hooking to the carb or gas tank
Old August 19th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 167
Photos: 23
Thanked 6 Times
  View my photos  

How about a squirrell proof bird feeder. Not directly maple related but did use an old maple sap bucket to form the 1/4 in. hardware cloth around. The 3 in. PVC pipe slides nicely over 2-1/2 in. iron pipe to lower for easy filling and is slick enough to keep the tree rat theives from climbing.. And 1-1/2 in. PVC fits inside for roof support ------- next challenge is a bear proof feeder------
Attached Thumbnails
Off season home builds-bird-feeder-006.jpg   Off season home builds-bird-feeder-008.jpg   Off season home builds-bird-feeder-009.jpg  
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:05 AM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Producer

Number of Taps: 140
Journals: 2
Photos: 35
Thanked 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods works View Post
How about a squirrell proof bird feeder. Not directly maple related but did use an old maple sap bucket to form the 1/4 in. hardware cloth around. The 3 in. PVC pipe slides nicely over 2-1/2 in. iron pipe to lower for easy filling and is slick enough to keep the tree rat theives from climbing.. And 1-1/2 in. PVC fits inside for roof support ------- next challenge is a bear proof feeder------
Hello wood works. I really like the squirrel proof bird feeder. I thought I had a Bear proof feeder, but NOT! We have a 20' or so steel pole, set in cement, with 4 shepherd type hooks for feeders. The gol darn bears just shake the pole to get the feeders to fall off. One bear even did a little pole type dance to get them to fall off. I will try to submit a picture of it. Hilarious
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:54 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

Cindy was the Bear naked and wearing high heels What you need is a sprinkler head on a motion detector spraying at head level gets a face full of water every time it shakes it.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 167
Photos: 23
Thanked 6 Times
  View my photos  

Cindy, glad to see you out of your summer hibernation! Haynes, that's a great idea, but would be hard to plumb in this case. But if you could it woud make a great FUNNIEST VIDEO entry. Thinking about it --- this one is just standing on the ground with a wide base, like a floor lamp. If bear tips over--seed spills , little damage, re-set.

The real quistion is-------can a bear be bear naked ????
Old September 7th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Researcher

Number of Taps: 2
Photos: 18
Thanked 332 Times
  View my photos  

Been working on my off season build= Lobster trapping. Been waiting on my 100 trap seals so i can officially put the traps in the whatta. They better hurry the *XYZ up as i got close to $3500 into the drink now and nothing to show as of yet
Attached Thumbnails
Off season home builds-lobster-boat-037.jpg  
Old September 7th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

I hope your the counter weight when hauling up. Looks like your little Dirties job set up. Will you have a crew to yell at
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 45 Times

Default gonna need a bigger boat gov

Gov - . If you eat lobsta like you do clams then you are gonna need a bigger boat.You can get your boy for the crew I dont think he will like being called gilligan.
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Researcher

Number of Taps: 2
Photos: 18
Thanked 332 Times
  View my photos  

I built a floor i the hull so it would be stable walking. The counter weight will be any helper that wants to go and i have quite a few on the list right now. Solo though i will put the (2) deep cycle batteries for the trap hauler that are up front in the center and move them on the starboard side in the middle of the boat to stabilize things better.

Yup foamy the little B will get in on the program as he like lobsters almost as much as me=can you say 20 real quick. 8 for him and a dozen for me will do it. Maybe do a fall sugarmaker round-up at some sugarhouse and fill up an evaporator and have a feast. U like lobster foamy?

Gonna hammer on the Clams also (10 Qt limit)= Not enough for me to even hit the spot.. As well as the Oysters (1/2 Bushel limit) Took about 20 Gals of mussels 60+ Lbs to a seafood feast i had in western VT one year and the guy went home to clean em' ( the P@#$% ) never show back up= that won't happen again.
Attached Thumbnails
Off season home builds-lobster-boat-031.jpg   Off season home builds-lobster-boat-032.jpg  
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 45 Times

Default nothing from the ocean

Last word from my dr. gov was nothing at all from the ocean. Usto just be everything with a shell gave me gout now its all off the table.I even passed on a trip to key west this summer for a free round of wa-hoo and dolphin fishing. You should be able to trap a good supply with your set up. Are you gonna sell what you catch or is this just a hobby thing?Foamy