Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old November 12th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 46
Thanked 392 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default New to Sugarbush Info? Introduce yourself

I started sugarin' 3 years ago with 20 taps a 2x4 flat pan with dividers on 3 turkey fryers boiling in my garage that was the beginning of the addiction for me. Last year i built a sugar house and a 2x4 arch and bought a 2x4 wse pan set and ran 93 taps. This year i streched my arch for a new Leader revolution 2x6.5 drop flue set and i will be taping around 170 trees. Sugarin' for me is great family experience and a good way to teach conservation to kids.
Old November 20th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

I'm Bryan Ex and one of about 6 founding members of Sugarbush.Info. I am a small maple producer located in Eastern Ontario with a rather unique business set up and tend to tinker with web sites as a hobby. I will be acting as the Sugarbush.Info webmaster to help further develop the web site and help resolve any issues that come up.
Old November 20th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Banned
Producer

Photos: 25
Thanked 37 Times
  View my photos  

I'm Jim, a maple addict. We are all on a very slippery slope and I went down hard and fast. In 2008 Angela and I made our first syrup over the campfire in a small kettle. Now we have about 700 taps and make about 200 gallons per year. We soon became known for the very high quality equipment that we build. I work full time making ONLY maple syrup producer's equipment, nothing else. I think about this industry every minute of the day as it is truly my main passion in life.

Last edited by Jim Schumacher; November 21st, 2011 at 12:19 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Schumacher For This Post:
mattschuette (December 20th, 2017)
Old November 20th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 957 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

I am a third generation maple producer. I inhereted this passion from both my Grandfather and Father. Every year the tap count gets a litte higher, the equipment gets a little better, the sales get a little larger, the work gets a little harder but the family time and memories get alot more enjoyable. I not only have a passion for hard work and the rewards of making maple syrup but I have a passion to help other producers with questions and answers and help guide them down a safe and productive path. I am very proud to be one of a handful of the founding members of Sugarbush.info and look forward to watching it grow and sharing the passion. Welcome aboard.
Darrick Hilton

Last edited by 3rdgen.maple; November 21st, 2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old November 21st, 2011, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 40
Thanked 0 Times

My interest in sugaring started as a kid in the mid-80s with my Dad and brother with 10 taps and boiling on a LP burner in the garage. After graduating from college, I moved back to the family's farm located 20 miles NW of Minneapolis. My brother and I boiled every other year on a turkey fryer and last year we step up to a 2x4 flat pan on a block arch for 40 taps.

I know just enough to get myself into trouble with my wife, and look forward to continuing my education in maple syrup production and getting my kids involved as well.

Ted Radintz
Old November 21st, 2011, 01:39 PM
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 46
Thanked 392 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka Grove View Post
My interest in sugaring started as a kid in the mid-80s with my Dad and brother with 10 taps and boiling on a LP burner in the garage. After graduating from college, I moved back to the family's farm located 20 miles NW of Minneapolis. My brother and I boiled every other year on a turkey fryer and last year we step up to a 2x4 flat pan on a block arch for 40 taps.

I know just enough to get myself into trouble with my wife, and look forward to continuing my education in maple syrup production and getting my kids involved as well.

Ted Radintz
Welcome to Sugarbush info Ted ! We are just starting out here but it shouldn't take long to fill this place up with good maple info and a little B.S as well.
Old November 21st, 2011, 02:48 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 500
Thanked 0 Times

I'm Jason, Know most of those above me from Mapletrader. Haynes, i have learned allot from you, good seeing you again. My father use to make syrup with his grandfather in the 60-70's on a flat 15"x30" tin pan. After my grandfather died so did the syrup up until about 5 years ago when my father asked if I was interested in making some. I said sure and we made 5 gallons of the most nasty looking but great tasting syrup ever on my grandfathers old pan. The bottom 1/4 of the jar we just through out because of the sand. The following year we bought some more buckets and a cone filter, The year after that we used a 3'x4' tin syrup pan and still had no idea what we were doing. Last year we went to vacuum on a 110 trees and had 200 buckets out. We also upgraded to a 30'x8' raised flue pan with AOF. This year I am hoping for 500 taps on a wet/dry setup, We now have 3 bulk tanks and with a little help from above a new finish pan and filter press.

While I enjoy making syrup I enjoy spending time with my father and 11 year old son more. We can just hang out and stoke the fire on cold nights and enjoy each others company. Nothing else in the world matter while we are in the sugarhouse just syrup, family, faith and memories.
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:16 PM
Flat Lander Sugaring

Well yoall know me also, the goofy flat lander from Arizona makn syrup. Started out in 94 helping bro in laws and went on my own in 2000. Still at 125 taps just haven't stepped out and done it bigger.
cant wait to get into discussions here with others from the old school.
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:16 PM
Forum d’échange pour Acériculteurs Moderator
Producer

Number of Taps: 197
Photos: 11
Thanked 76 Times
  View my photos  
Default First one from Québec..

Hi, some of you know me under my name C.Boyer on other forum, i am a hobby producer from Milan Qc, one of the big place in Qc for maple production. i was making syrup since 1987, at this time i was in St-Anicet Qc, south west of Montreal, near NY state border. i was making syrup from silver maple, (60to1!!), about 5 to 10 taps.
i move to Milan in 2007 and tap few trees, boil on an electric stove in my garage the first years. In 2010, pour slab for sugarshack, tap 80, and boil on my 2 x 5 in a 8 x 8 temporary shack. Buit my "Cabane a sucre" at summer, and tap 100 in 2011. i you need, will try to help you with french documents, or Quebec related needs.. Remember that i am French speaking, sometimes my texts could look bizzare for you..
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:23 PM
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 957 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Ted, Jason and Boyer welcome to the sugarbush.info site. Glad you guys found your way over. Look forward to reading your post and watching this place grow with all you.