Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 9th, 2018, 12:45 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 75
Thanked 0 Times

Dan here, we have 75 taps, though lots more trees that we could tap in the future. We are mostly hobbyists, though are licensed and sell a few gallons a year to supplement our other tree farm activities.
Old February 9th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 90
Thanked 22 Times

Default Big time producers

Just living the dream, working the day job to support the maple fever
Ask away, just be open because you will get different opinions, which I like to point out, can lead to interesting discussions
Old March 15th, 2018, 06:43 PM
Retired

Number of Taps: 6-9
Classified Ads: 1
Photos: 5
Thanked 0 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default Starting over

Due to getting older and illness had to sell our farm about 2 years ago. Had a 15 acre sugarbush. Tubing on vac. All off grid homestead we built ourselves. Real hard giving it up. Have a small ranch in a small rural village. 4 mature maples. Hard to get used to no land and people. Ron decided to tap and we got a little propane fish fryer. 6 taps and he's busy every day boiling. Made over a gallon of light. Never had that with our farm trees. Flavor is good but cant compare to our farm. Will be working this year on the yard to plant lots of shrubs and trees. A tiny pond. Garden. At least we have farm fields across the road. Miss my chickens.
Old March 15th, 2018, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1630
Thanked 126 Times

Welcome, nice to have you over here at s.b.i. Your making syrup and thats a good thing.
a bunch of buckets no tubing yet
Old March 16th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 50
Thanked 3 Times

Thanks! We've finally had sap moving this past week after much cold and very snowy weather. Doing some boiling now, loving the sweet smell!
2017 - 185 taps, all on bags but not enough evaporator so dumped most of the sap.
2018 - back to 50 taps, too many irons in fire this year
Old March 17th, 2018, 09:58 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwagon View Post
Hi, I'm just a backyard tapper, 10 to 15 taps with buckets, looking to learn more. This is my 3rd year tapping, would like to have more taps but time sort of restricts me.i hope you don't mind me asking some questions,hope I am in the right forum, seems most of you are big time producers.
The whole point of this website is to share maple info and make some friends. A little entertainment mixed in never hurts either. You will find people visiting this site range from 10's of 1000's of taps to having not yet tapped their first tree (but want to) so you are certainly in the right place. Welcome aboard.
Old March 17th, 2018, 01:11 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 409 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornhusker View Post
Thanks! We've finally had sap moving this past week after much cold and very snowy weather. Doing some boiling now, loving the sweet smell!
Cornhusker... if you haven't already done so could you add your location to the maple producers map - Sugarbush.Info - Googlemap . It's always interesting to see folks added outside the traditional maple belt. As far as silver maples go your syrup will be just fine. Only real issue with silvers is that your season will be about two weeks shorter than hard maples. Watch for the red blossoms to start expanding then pull the taps before the sap stops running to prevent off flavour.
Old April 12th, 2018, 11:54 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 5
Thanked 0 Times

Default New at this

Hi!
I am new at this, love maple syrup on everything.
I am a back yard “sugarer”, 2 maples and 6 taps.
I am getting 10-12 gallons of sap per day...I read everywhere that the average per season is about 10-18 gallons per season per tap...what gives?
Any help would be appreciated?

Last edited by Danisimo; April 12th, 2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old April 12th, 2018, 12:03 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 409 Times

Welcome Danisimo. First part is it's a very very good season here in Ontario and second I am willing to bet you are tapping either yard or road side trees which have nice wide branches. Maples with lots of room around them, typical of a yard tree, will always be heavy sap producers.
Danisimo (April 12th, 2018)
Old April 12th, 2018, 12:09 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 5
Thanked 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ex View Post
Welcome Danisimo. First part is it's a very very good season here in Ontario and second I am willing to bet you are tapping either yard or road side trees which have nice wide branches. Maples with lots of room around them, typical of a yard tree, will always be heavy sap producers.
Indeed I am. 2 trees on our small 1/4 acre lot in a village. I have been using wood stove to boil, and boil... lol I signed up for maybe a litre of syrup for season currently at 8 and counting!
Thank you Bryan Ex!