Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Go Back   Sugarbush.Info > Maple Production Information > Forestry & Firewood

Old February 5th, 2019, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1630
Thanked 128 Times

Default What makes your woods a good syrup woods? What makes it not as good.

Back in the day we used to tap a second woods. It was a smaller woods with less taps than our main bush, with almost identical tree size, structure, and woods composition. The two woods are about a quarter mile apart. We tapped both woods with buckets but seldom got the same sap volume (or sugar %) as our home bush. This was a rental woods and after 7 or 8 years we stopped tapping it because of low sap volume and a bridge that went out and made the quarter mile trip 5 miles one way. There is a new bridge now but its not worth it to us to tap. The only difference between the two woods is approximately 70 feet in elevation. The typical low temperatures at night are 2 to 5 degrees colder in the home bush, while the day time highs are about the same for the surrounding area. (The home bush is in a hollow basically) That microclimate difference really sets this woods apart. On the down side our woods has been tapped continuously for 100 plus years. We are very careful when we tap but still hit brown wood occasionally. Just curious what others thought about their woods. I know our woods production would go way up if we put in tubing with high vacuum, still, we have maybe two times made less than a quart per tap in this woods in the 70+ years our family has tapped it.
a bunch of buckets no tubing yet
Old February 5th, 2019, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 173 Times

For more sap, good vacuum will add 5-7% for each inch of vacuum over what you now get. Figure it as compound interest, not simple interest. In other words, each inch vacuum increases you get that % over what you got at 1 inch less vacuum.
A good woods has a nice slope, a good population of healthy maple trees and the trees have a good crown. The woods should be thinned periodically and allowed to let the crowns fill back in. Those with the mentality that a maple tree should never get cut down lose.
www.cnymaple.com
Old February 14th, 2019, 10:10 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

In my area so much land has been cleared for agriculture that a so called good bush is one with a higher density of maple. I will budget $20 per tap and if I come in under that good deal IMO.