Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old August 6th, 2018, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1630
Thanked 127 Times

Default Beech bark disease

I spent the weekend marking trees for an upcoming harvest. I didn't see one beech that was not infected, so they are all being cut. There is also 3 times as much canker and other fungal problems on maples in these beech clone areas on my up property compared to the rest. Keep your eye out for it in your woods as the fungal component to the disease looks to me like it can spread to maples. All the diseased maples are being removed in the improvement cut as well.
a bunch of buckets no tubing yet
Old August 6th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 166 Times

Be careful when cutting beech out, study ways to control them. A beech once cut sends up hundreds of new sprouts off the extensive root system and if the original had beech bark disease so will the new shoots most likely.
www.cnymaple.com
Old August 6th, 2018, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1630
Thanked 127 Times

The big beech have already died or are in the last stage of dieing, so the beech whips have already come up. I believe the disease has been in the eastern UP for at least 15 years. I doubt if any of it is salvageable as timber, all of it will go in the pulp pile. I will probably have some bigger butt logs to buck up for firewood. The maples in those clonal areas would be in way better shape if the beech would have been thinned out 15 years ago. The original property I bought 5 years ago and had thinned of all beech at that time is in good shape and the maple are in better shape as well.
a bunch of buckets no tubing yet

Last edited by ed r; August 6th, 2018 at 07:12 PM.