Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old March 17th, 2018, 01:33 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 15
Thanked 12 Times

Default Cutting a road

Looking for ideas on how to cut a road through dense woods. I want to connect two logging roads with about a 800 foot roadway through 30 to 50 year old mixed hardwoods and pine. If I cut them I have to deal with the stumps I can rip some little ones out with my skidsteer. Just wondering if anyone has a neat trick for removing trees / stumps that doesn't need a bulldozer or lots of $$$$$ Jay
Old March 17th, 2018, 01:43 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

I am about to do the same thing this summer. Local land clearing company will come in with an excavator and a mulching attachment that eats everything in it's path. They quoted $3k to push a 20' wide road back 1 km on my property regardless of what is in the way. I have seen their work and will post a video as soon as I can fix the attachment size on SBI.
Old March 17th, 2018, 01:56 PM
Producer

Thanked 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ex View Post
I am about to do the same thing this summer. Local land clearing company will come in with an excavator and a mulching attachment that eats everything in it's path. They quoted $3k to push a 20' wide road back 1 km on my property regardless of what is in the way. I have seen their work and will post a video as soon as I can fix the attachment size on SBI.
Hey Brian I got a similar quote from a company here. 2400 for my road. I would like to do it myself to save money I am only a hobby tapper just want easier access to my back woods. Would love to see pictures of how they do your's. Jay
Old March 17th, 2018, 02:07 PM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals

I get it. Always a trade off between time, effort, and quality, versus the ever import $$$ in our pockets. I could do it myself but honestly not nearly as fast or nearly as cleanly so will suck up the expense and buy back my time and effort on this one. The mulcher will actually mulch the stumps right into the ground which I can not do and they will move some rocks around if they are in the way which is also a challenge for me to do. Best case for me is to cut flush and that's only on the ones without obstructions. I am all about DIY but in this case I am way further ahead to pay the money.

On another note... if you already have a skid steer you can get these mulcher attachments for them. Not sure if you could find a rental on one but if you purchased you could generate revenue offering the service to pay for it.
Old March 17th, 2018, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 166 Times

I have cut a few roads thru woods over the years. I just try to route it so the easiest route as far as cutting and driving is considered. Then I have a small excavator if I need it, but usually I just cut the stumps as low as I can without hitting dirt, then if necessary I haul some crushed stone in to fill low spots. Where drainage is needed, I run a tile in the drainage and then haul in or move enough to fill over it. Fortunately I have no water flowing onto my land, just off it and as such I have nothing where a 6" corrugated tile is not enough. If you have flows which are more water, you will need proper culvert tile and installation methods.
Also, I have almost no rocks to contend with. My roads are not very straight because I go where the lay of the land and the trees tell me to. For example, if a sugarmaple, a beech or a hemlock needs to be cut, the hemlock or beach or both don't stand much of a chance.
Then as a last resort, I remove the stump using the excavator.
www.cnymaple.com
Old March 23rd, 2018, 05:46 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 50
Thanked 0 Times

I have removed a lot of trees with my skidsteer and a set of pallet forks. It takes patience but using the forks to prune roots and pushing higher on the tree results in tree and stump gone for me. Not so good on big tap rooted trees like oak.
Old March 23rd, 2018, 11:56 AM
Producer

Thanked 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn View Post
I have removed a lot of trees with my skidsteer and a set of pallet forks. It takes patience but using the forks to prune roots and pushing higher on the tree results in tree and stump gone for me. Not so good on big tap rooted trees like oak.
Thanks Minn I'll give that a try on the smaller ones. I'll be going around any larger good trees anyway except for a few larger scrub pine and popple. I have really sandy soil there so that just might do the trick. And I do need probably two areas fitted with a culvert MP now that I look things over. Thanks for the help Jay
Old March 23rd, 2018, 02:45 PM
UVM Proctor Maple Res Ctr
Researcher

Number of Taps: 4,950
Thanked 683 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ex View Post
I get it. Always a trade off between time, effort, and quality, versus the ever import $$$ in our pockets.
So if you don't want to spend the money, there is always the time approach. That could be time spent with your skidsteer getting it out, time spent with a shovel and/or fire, or time spent letting it rot. Fifty years would take care of it nicely.

Dave's (Maple Flats) suggestion is probably the best combination of quickest and cheapest approach. Pick your path carefully, cut any stumps off as low as you can and fill in a little where you need to.
Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu
Old September 19th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Producer

Thanked 12 Times

Just an update. The skidsteer / pallet fork trick works great for most of the popples smaller than 10 inches, pines under 8, scrub pine under 10. pops them right out. Rip the roots on one side then the other then out they come. Thanks for all the great info. About 1/3 the way down the road even though this was a very late start to this project. I just might get it done before winter???? No big stumps yet to deal with but that made the road just a tad winding News Flash "There were no maples harmed during the construction of this road" he he Jay
Old September 19th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 166 Times

With practice you will get faster, just don't rush to the point of getting dangerous.
www.cnymaple.com