Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old September 21st, 2018, 08:02 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 50
Thanked 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zucker Lager View Post
Just an update. The skidsteer / pallet fork trick works great for most of the popples smaller than 10 inches, pines under 8, scrub pine under 10. pops them right out. Rip the roots on one side then the other then out they come. Thanks for all the great info. About 1/3 the way down the road even though this was a very late start to this project. I just might get it done before winter???? No big stumps yet to deal with but that made the road just a tad winding News Flash "There were no maples harmed during the construction of this road" he he Jay
I really like the idea of getting rid of stump and no regrowth. If you want to be more on the safe side I have found with most trees I can take out roots on 1 side and push tree over from that side. Keeping other side intact works like a hinge.
Old September 21st, 2018, 09:52 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 15
Thanked 12 Times

Thanks Minn:
I haven't tried that yet but will. One area was clear cut about 25 years ago and grew up like a bamboo forest its so thick you almost can't walk through it. But the trees average 4" to 6" are tall and all intertwined so they hang up. This just might be the better way to take that area down because I'm always using the skidder to prod them to the ground anyhow. Thanks Jay
Old September 26th, 2018, 07:46 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 15
Thanked 12 Times

OK there is a learning curve to doing this. Like you said Minn if you break the roots on the back side of the tree then its a hinge I did a bunch today a few around 12 to 18" and as long as I could fell the tree into a clearing and could get at the back of the tree to give it a shove then up root it then all that leverage of the tree's weight helped pry that root ball out just as slick as owl snot. Only one got hung up in a maple tree but a little nudging and finagling and it came down with out any damage to the maple. This works better than pre cutting the tree then digging the stump out it takes more effort to get just the stump out without the tree attached. On the up side some friends really want all the wood I can give them pine / popple / scrub for campfire wood so I just skid the whole tree to a clearing and call them to pick it up .....................they even like the stumps!! Jay
Old September 27th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 50
Thanked 0 Times

Good when everyone is happy at the end of the day.