Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 2nd, 2018, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 315
Photos: 87
Thanked 128 Times
  View my photos  
Default Tankless water heater

Thinking about getting a propane-fired tankless, also known as on-demand water heater, for the shack this year so we have instant hot water. Has anyone else experimented with these? any thoughts on brands or particular models?

Water Jacketed Bottler, Hood, and Finish Pan by 3rdgen.maple
2x4 Hybrid Hobby with Autodrawoff
315 taps on 3/16 gravity and a handful on buckets
5" Filter Press by Daryl
14' x 20' Sugar Shack
Home-built RO
Officially caught the sugar bug

http://www.pottercreeksyrup.com/
Old January 2nd, 2018, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 166 Times

Default tankless HW

I've had 2 over the years, I run them on propane, heating permeate in season and city water between seasons. Both were bought at Sportsmaqn's guide. The first was their smallest unit because I simply wanted to determine if that approach would work. It did fine, but was slow. It heated plenty hot but took longer than I wanted. I think it took 12-14 minutes to fill my 15 gal RO wash tank with about 115 F water. I used that for 3 seasons, then I bought a bigger size, this one heats about 2.6 GPM (I think) to 120F. I like that speed. I never thought of it on the first unit, but on this one I even use it to bring the temp back up, because as soon as the water gets mixed with the cold in the membranes, the water loses temp fast. I now, when the RO is running, run all of the permeate flow back thru the heater until the water in the tank again feels hot. When doing that I likely run 3.5 or 4 GPM thru the heater, but it only takes a few minutes to get the whole tank hot again. This is what I now have: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...ater?a=1588404
This is what I started with: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...ater?a=1588405
I have a bulk propane tank at the sugarhouse, which fuels my RO room heater, my finisher, my arch lighter (a 500,000BTU weed burner) and the HW heater, it fueled a propane fired canner before I got a WJ canner.
www.cnymaple.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Maple Flats For This Post:
RHale (January 2nd, 2018)
Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 315
Photos: 87
Thanked 128 Times
  View my photos  

How do you have your permeate plumbed into your heater?

Water Jacketed Bottler, Hood, and Finish Pan by 3rdgen.maple
2x4 Hybrid Hobby with Autodrawoff
315 taps on 3/16 gravity and a handful on buckets
5" Filter Press by Daryl
14' x 20' Sugar Shack
Home-built RO
Officially caught the sugar bug

http://www.pottercreeksyrup.com/
Old January 3rd, 2018, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 166 Times

I have a line that comes off the bottom valve of the permeate tank that feeds my RO when on rinse, in that line I have a T that runs a 3/4" line into the sugarhouse. As it enters the sugarhouse the first thing is a ball valve, then a diaphragm pump. That pump is 120V. From the pump a line goes to feed my cold water valve. Before it gets to that valve, I have a T , up to a ball valve then into the HW heater. On the outlet I have a potable water hose. In cold temps when done for the day, I drain the heater, shut off the pump, and drain the supply lines. When freezing is not an issue I just leave the valves closed. The lines do not have a heat tape and insulation on them, but I may add that at some point, but since my sugarhouse is not heated I'd still need to drain the heater. To drain it, I unplug the pump, open the supply and outlet valves and remove 1 drain plug on the bottom of the tankless heater.
www.cnymaple.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Maple Flats For This Post:
RHale (January 3rd, 2018)